Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone had experience with tuning a mk1 1500 consul engine ??? (Twin choke carb and exhaust,) was it worth it ?? Just don鈥檛 want to go down the engine swap route at the mo, but would like a bit more power 馃お馃お

Registered
I used to run one with a manifold adapter and a dual progressive Nikki carb and a Peco big bore silencer exiting under the sill. I'm not sure it went any better but it sure did sound like it did!

Registered
All the following is from memories of over 45 years ago, so could be well off the mark but.........If this is the same as the non-crossflow engines in the early Cortinas, because they have flat topped pistons, (unlike the crossflows which were bowl in piston) they can be overbored to 1650cc with what were at the time, reasonably priced and available pistons, and with a carb and a freeflow exhaust manifold, they were pretty powerful and revvy.
I had one and sold it to a mate who put it in his Mk2 Cortina, and a liberal dose of right foot turning out of a sideroad, saw him put the car backwards through a pet shop window...

Premium Member
the consul has different engine to the 'kent' pre crossflow and crossflow that was fitted to cortinas etc.
how about fitting a later 1703 engine from a mk2 consul or mk3 zephyr 4? that should give a decent upgrade in both torque and horse power.
neil.

Reactions: kapri

Off the Xmas card list
the consul has different engine to the 'kent' pre crossflow and crossflow that was fitted to cortinas etc.
how about fitting a later 1703 engine from a mk2 consul or mk3 zephyr 4? that should give a decent upgrade in both torque and horse power.
neil.
From memory my mate tried that and it won't fit . Starter motor / flywheel issue I seem to remember , was about 20 years back ;)

Off the Xmas card list
Putting weber on an adapter is a waste of time as all that air is trying to get through the same hole, need manifold cutting away and adapter plate fitting . I've dome similar using counter sunk allen bolts and superseal to very good effect , Exhaust is a pain to do anything with due to method of fitting but it CAN be done .

Then you need a rev limiter to keep it in one piece ;)

Premium Member
From memory my mate tried that and it won't fit . Starter motor / flywheel issue I seem to remember , was about 20 years back ;)
so as long as you had the mk2 gearbox you're golden. or even better a mk3 4 speed box which would help performance as the ratios are closer to keep the engine 'on the boil'. the column change is fiddly to get the extra gear but it's doable.
neil.

Stroker
I used to run one with a manifold adapter and a dual progressive Nikki carb and a Peco big bore silencer exiting under the sill. I'm not sure it went any better but it sure did sound like it did!
Got that t-shirt but on a MK2 mill. Nikki!? twin choke and huge amount of work making A cortina 4 branch fit. Doubt it made a worthwhile performance iota but sounded better and made me feel good until Mini 1000s and Austin 1100s smoked me. Mind, I blew off the Morris Minors :D
i would just keep me powder dry till a newer mill and fittability became avavilable tbh

Registered
Bolt ons fairly pointless on these, yeasrs ago I spent a lot of time on this for nothing and when you think a zetec will virtually bolt in and give you 130hp on stock management and take less time鈥

Only thing I think is worth thinking about is a DIY Eaton supercharger or low pressure turbocharger with something like a speeduino ECU.

Actually, just converting to a speeduino ECU with scrapyard injectors and coil pack (拢100 efi) would not be a bad idea鈥 probably pick up 15% more hp with a higher CR and bit of mpg due to the masses of advance you can run at part throttle. You can reuse all that on a future engine swap as well.

Simple single throttle body and trigger wheel is all you need. I bet that would drive nicely.

Premium Member
a diy turbo 'kit' would definately wake it up and may even last on low boost while you sort a replacement more modern powerful engine/box to swap in, lol.
neil.

Reactions: V6Minor

Registered
Or send it out in a blaze of glory ...win /win ;)
Lol, yes鈥 as long as the valve seats, (especially exhaust) are ok, (personally I鈥檇 have the head off to clean any casting flash from the ports and a 3 angle valve job to make sure you don鈥檛 get hot spots and maybe replace the valve with one of better material).

if you鈥檙e not raising the Rev limit, this is kinder to the bearings anyway and turbochargers reduce loads on bearings, the largest change in inertia and stress occurs after TDC on the exhaust stroke. Boost cushions this.

I can run a turbo selection calculator if you like?

I鈥檇 guess 7psi at the flow rate for an asthmatic 1.5 would come out with something like a Saab 9000 low pressure model Garret turbo 1749 or similar.

You could use a blow through converted SU I guess, but been there and you still have ignition control to sort which still means an ECU like Speeduino or Magajolt so can鈥檛 see the point these days.

Won鈥檛 need an intercooler at 7psi. I鈥檇 go DIY water injection above that.

Probably make 160ft/lbs and 100 or so HP.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol, yes鈥 as long as the valve seats, (especially exhaust) are ok, (personally I鈥檇 have the head off to clean any casting flash from the ports and a 3 angle valve job to make sure you don鈥檛 get hot spots and maybe replace the valve with one of better material).

if you鈥檙e not raising the Rev limit, this is kinder to the bearings anyway and turbochargers reduce loads on bearings, the largest change in inertia and stress occurs after TDC on the exhaust stroke. Boost cushions this.

I can run a turbo selection calculator if you like?

I鈥檇 guess 7psi at the flow rate for an asthmatic 1.5 would come out with something like a Saab 9000 low pressure model Garret turbo 1749 or similar.

You could use a blow through converted SU I guess, but been there and you still have ignition control to sort which still means an ECU like Speeduino or Magajolt so can鈥檛 see the point these days.

Won鈥檛 need an intercooler at 7psi. I鈥檇 go DIY water injection above that.

Probably make 160ft/lbs and 100 or so HP.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so as long as you had the mk2 gearbox you're golden. or even better a mk3 4 speed box which would help performance as the ratios are closer to keep the engine 'on the boil'. the column change is fiddly to get the extra gear but it's doable.
neil.
Read all the comment and thanks very much for the input, it鈥檚 made me make my mind up, for going to run it standard for a bit, till I find someone who can put an mx5 auto engine and box in it. Any suggestions

1 - 20 of 24 Posts