Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was a simple idea, quick respray to change the colours, freshen up the engine and check all the electrics, so the plan was only go back to metal in places ..... however various people suggested it would be best to go right back to bare metal so here goes, this is not going to be a quick job but I have promised my self an hour a day minimum whether I want to or not so today as I was not at work I started.

Any tips for getting the filler out of the seam at the top of the wing gratefully recvd.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,360 Posts
Warm the area with a hot-air paint stripping gun to soften the filler and scrape at the filler with a thin blade (a screw driver ground down is good). Don't be tempted to use any sort of stripper/chemical, once its in the seam its difficult to get it out!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Did you ever find out what the oil leak was at the HRD's???

P.s. good luck...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried the wire brush both cup and wheel but the depth of the seam and the welds joining the 2 halves of the wing wire brushing just don't get in far enough to get it all out. Yellataxi, was water not oil and seems I have a dodgy core plug that only leaks when under pressure, this is what started the tear down - figured as engine coming out might as well respray :crazy:

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
I'd do what you can with a bevel wire brush in a grinder and what is left in the seam is left so long as there is no rust evident (or was there?) I think you'll be fine. Can I ask was there anything wrong with the paint? As in the pics it looks fine? Is it to just change the colour? If so I'd stop where you are, as you seem to be unveiling repairs that appear to have been successful as the finish looked good.

If the idea was just to change the colour then just do that. Sand back to primer and then respray. You now have to filler a etc on the bits that you've stripped so far.

Ok about respraying the engine bay while the engine is out but that involves lots of work stripping out everything to do it properly. Is it that bad or would deep clean and buff up suffice? Unless a totally different colour is envisaged.

The benefit of stripping the paint totally is you know what's underneath so in future you know where the likely trouble spots might be.

Hope this helps ... Jon

·
Registered
541 Posts
I totally agree with all that Jon has said. I do believe you are making yourself a lot of hard work for a change of colour. Your garage, being damp isn't the ideal place to take the car back to bare metal. All of the panels unbolt from the main shell for ease of prepping and painting, every bolt being stainless steel. I would have removed these and taken the drivetrain out before embarking on the facelift job, but that's only my opinion. Good luck, Ron.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Ron & Chunky there are some signs of rust very minor and some bubbling of the paint, and yes a totally different colour is required - still period but different, a rewire was always on the cards as some of it had got quite hot, as I have a good mate who does auto electrics seems a good time to get that sorted as well, also need to sort a slightly different solution for the steering as the current system using a rubber bush scared me when I checked it ..... see pic and yes I did replace it after the pic was taken

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damp in Garage is sort of sorted - at least wont be a problem after the heat has been in there a few days, so started to get the engine and box ready for extraction.

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
Some more advice for what it's worth.

Take lots of pictures for reference of how it was before the strip down

Jon

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yes, I am, lots and lots, just not going to post any more until there is something different to see.

drawings being made and measuring wires etc, been here before and know what it is like trying to remember what went where, it ws bad enough at 40 at 50+ could be a nightmare without reference, cheers for the advice though.

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
Argh! You killed it. You can see the blood on the floor. :incheek:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Now we're motoring. Are you stripping it to a bare shell? I only ask because the underneath was all done in green so will need changing.
Good luck, Ron.

·
Registered
140 Posts
3rd time trying if they dont post this will start a chat on talked up. keep on with the bare metal it will only bite u in the arse if u dont and c u out there in the spring, faster than you were before (im impressed you hAVENT TOLD THEM ALL THE CAM WAS FECKED when u got it) and good luck

1 - 20 of 134 Posts