Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 to 60 in 3 weeks
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone
as anyone here ever fitted modern inserts into mk2 consul mcpherson oil struts ? i know it can be done but i dont have a clue which insert to use or how its done i want to keep original legs up front ,my cars as old as me .my legs aches but i cant upgrade them ,but i could do my car if i get the info from the guys who may know :tup:
cheers again

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Leda are now in Derbyshire, pick up a PPC and the advert/number is in there...

They also did the ones in my mk1 and the rear c/overs...

The old girl used to be in their adverts...!!!

·
0 to 60 in 3 weeks
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys for the link .any idea on price?
to be honest . with health issues and age creepin up on me i dont work now so funds are a bit tight ,and im trying to find an more common insert off the shelf and i can tincker about in my shed at my own pace ,so i can fit them myself ? i hate to sound a tight ass but i need to share any funds across a few other parts i need . im only doing slight upgardes to my car .
thanks again lads

·
Registered
680 Posts
I know you said that wanted to keep the original struts, but I have seen MK3 Capri legs fitted with mounts welded below the original strut towers which worked really well. Just a thought.

·
0 to 60 in 3 weeks
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know you said that wanted to keep the original struts, but I have seen MK3 Capri legs fitted with mounts welded below the original strut towers which worked really well. Just a thought.
thanks for the input .but doesnt that mean i would have to change top of the tower? and does it mean i would end up with a capri 4 stud bolt pattern and also sort camber out and i dont want the car lower .and non of my linkage would fit would it ,? sorry for this im not used to doing mods and conversions . thats why im here brain picking :S i think i best strip a strut and just try and sniff about for a insert, also im working out side not in a garage .so any thing i do would need to be pretty quick job ,strut ,off day 1 rebuilt and back on day 2 my cars on a private communal carpark outside my house ,i dont have a drive on my house or car access to my massive back garden , :sniff: thats why im looking for aquick opstion . cheers anyway fellas:tup:

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
You'd need to swap the whole Capri front end, not just the struts. It might be worth giving Classic Car Parts a call on 0208 897 3774, they sell recon struts.

·
0 to 60 in 3 weeks
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yoy'd need to swap the whole Capri front end, not just the struts. It might be worth giving Classic Car Parts a call on 0208 897 3774, they sell recon struts.
cheers bud im looking at all options but i dont have the right place to do the capri front clip idea .as i said i need my car to be mobile at a mins notice so i may need to get recon struts in the end and just swap them.more bloody money oh well there goes my kidney transplant i was saving up for £1 a week .:lol: wish i had a daf you cant make them go better any way you try
cheers

·
Registered
773 Posts
Go on Aussie sites they change the strangest things onto Mk2s ,Forget the name of the big one will post again when I remember ,,,read some where Mk 4 inserts fit with a little work ,plenty on E bay,,,,,,,Remembered GALEFORCE ZEPHYRS in Oz .Great site All the best Andy

·
0 to 60 in 3 weeks
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers Andy thats where i first got the idea . some guy on there is using holden commador inserts and a big spacer to be fare i think i need to strip a leg and try and find a good fitting strut insert .but i need to get in to gear and get out there do it .thats why im hoping to find someone here thats already done it .im being lazy i guess .lol
cheers bud

1 - 10 of 10 Posts