Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
took the Consul for a test drive last night and the new front coil springs are moving in their seats and noisy on full lock. I'm not happy with them so I'll be ordering a set of roller bearing top mounts..

New exhaust system is better but still quite boomy. I can add another couple of bullet type silencer ahead of the axle, but I think to quieten it down it really need bigger silencers than I can fit. The tube headers on it seem to contribute a lot so I may go back to cast manifolds.

Other progress, got a leaking tyre bead sorted, fitted new sleeve lug nuts and gave the kickdown cable a good looking at. MOT is on hold till I sort the top mounts.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Cool dragster

Love the little wing on the front axle :tup:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Love the paint & engine turned panel on the rail . I do like a nice injector stack :D Silly question .... What's the motor ??
Not that photos of your rear end are....... OI ! stop giggling at the back !!!!

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Love the paint & engine turned panel on the rail . I do like a nice injector stack :D Silly question .... What's the motor ??
Not that photos of your rear end are....... OI ! stop giggling at the back !!!!
:tup: the motor is a 421cu in sbc . It's about as big as you'd want to go using a stock block. The block is a 400 block, bored 30thou with a stroker crank. It's run on methanol, has a full roller cam and iron heads. It makes in the region of 580bhp and about 500ft lb torque.

The cowl screen was a bitch to make and I'm quite proud of it :smoke:. It actually has a folded return / wire edge which I hand formed without a bead roller, bloody hard to do without marking or kinking the material. I also painted it, pearl gold base, candy red panels and airbrushed blends. Two side panels were damaged on that run and have since been replaced, which will be fun matching a candy finish.

Stand by for more rear end pics, looks like I'll be building an atlas for the Consul:D

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Update on the consul, wasn't happy with springs banging away on full luck, so I've fitted roller bearing top mounts which have raised the car 25mm and transformed the steering, feels like it has power steering now. Also went for its MOT today and passed with no advisories ��. Next I'm removing the lowering blocks and will be putting a 70 profile tyre on it. Hopefully then I can put some miles on it

41 - 47 of 47 Posts