Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really,as per title.thinking about starting a mobile catering business,nothing grand,but something me and the missus can do.can anyone shed some light on the good and bad aspects ie;insurances/pitch costs (inc car/bike events)...someone was talking about "tenders" for shows/events?....any logistics really to help weigh it all up :) I value opinions from my like minded petrol heads :tup: cheers in advance jerry

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
why not try getting a bit of work for someone else doing this to get a load of info and see if it suits you before shelling out a load of money first,i know someone who went in head first bought a van and loads of stuff,gave it up after one afternoon,its hard work but a good payer if you get it right

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If it was myself, I'd ponder the following.
1 is there a guaranteed market/income from it?
2 would you be encroaching on someone elses patch doing it? (Visiting workplaces etc etc)
3 have you got the outlay to pay for pitches at events? They are expensive!
4 how much is the food & hygeine courses and relevant public liability insurance and so on.
5 who could supply you with quality food products?
6 what food would you supply that is different from anyone elses and would it be cost effective to produce?
7 are you prepared to work 18 hours or more a day to make it work, including weekends, bank holidays, evenings and so on?
8 are you employing staff, if so, are they prepared to do the above and can you afford to pay them even if they sell nothing at all?
9 would you be using personal cash or a business loan? Could you afford to repay/replace both?
10 have you got the aptitude and attitude to see it all through?

Good luck in whatever you choose :tup:

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
The people who make serious money are those that do events and shows. but the pitch prices will astound you and more often than not its a bidding war. its not uncommon for a major weekend event to carry a £1000 to £4000 pitch fee.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Me and the missus thought about doing this a few years back, but in then end couldn't see how it would work for us around here. You got the outlay to get the van, Insurance, Food hygiene paper work and the rest. Then where do you pitch ? Weekends.... Boot fairs and the likes are good sites, but they are all taken up with their own regular food stalls. During the week? If there is a good size lay-by where vans and lorry's can stop there's a fair chance a food van is already there. If its empty..its in the wrong place.
Many do make a living out of it or so it seems, if its for you go for it. We didn't and glad we didn't. but it could be right up your street,

Right goods , Right price, Right location. Simple as that !

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Me and the missus thought about doing this a few years back, but in then end couldn't see how it would work for us around here. You got the outlay to get the van, Insurance, Food hygiene paper work and the rest. Then where do you pitch ? Weekends.... Boot fairs and the likes are good sites, but they are all taken up with their own regular food stalls. During the week? If there is a good size lay-by where vans and lorry's can stop there's a fair chance a food van is already there. If its empty..its in the wrong place.
Many do make a living out of it or so it seems, if its for you go for it. We didn't and glad we didn't. but it could be right up your street,

Right goods , Right price, Right location. Simple as that !
:yeahthat:

We also thought of it, but came to the same conclusion as yourself.

Happy we didnt, but if you feel the need go for it

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Ans beware of the criminal element that runs pitches and vans ,burger wars,and ice creams wars are common same and take away restaurants.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
remember seeing a panorama type programme about it a few years back where they were at the british grand prix, the traders in the best pitches who did well were there through massive back handers, and those in the worse pitches lost thousands in one weekend,

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've done loads of work over the years with mobile caterers/ice cream vendors and can honestly say there are some 'interesting' business practices being used.
There is a lot of money to be made that's for sure, but you really need to know what you're doing.
Just for a laugh give Glasto a call and see what they want for a pitch, £1000 just about gets you in the village fete these days.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers to all for the advice etc,I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply....definitely food for thought ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts