Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, im looking for a mobile mechanic to do a small amount of work on an old Tbird in the Redbridge\Ilford area of Essex. Im trying to punch out a metal pin from the steering column to remove the gear selector and it just wont budge, any help greatly appreciated!

regards

Warren

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ifan. I've tried but there isn't the room to do so as it's just below the overhang of the dash. I've tried punching it out but there isn't much room to get a swing at it. I've run out of ideas now and need to call on an expert. I'm sure there's another way to tackle it...........

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi notenoughtime. I've searched thoroughly for it on line. There's nothing except postings on the VTCI forum in the USA the problem is a well known one fixed with a lot of brute force. Unfortunately my fingers won't take anymore! Ha.
I've a mechanic coming round on tue next week to try and help. I guess when it's finally out I'll replace it with something a bit more practical.........

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's such a big job to remove the column as it's swing away so I was avoiding having to do that plus it's so difficult getting to the rag joint in the engine bay. Maybe you're right and I won't have any other option. I'll see what this guy suggests on tuesday I guess. Might also be easier to brake the collar off and replace........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts