Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is what i did with the left over parts of my 1/16th scale mustang and the 1/18th scale hi tech deuce that donated parts for the mustang build.
it started out as the hi tech version of ERTL,s roadster, mettalic green and flamed with blown chevy and billet wheels and steering wheel etc...but as you may know i robbed most parts for the mustang build.so was left with a shell , interior and axles.
having been highly influenced by bedyo1,s forgotten treasure build i decided to build a weathered rod but un like andys mine was to look as though it was still in use!
i started by building the v8 from the mustang kit and installing it in the chassis then modding the mustangs steel rims to fit it, the body work was rubbed down with 400 grade paper and sprayed with terracotta paint, from a distance to give texture and then while still wet i sprayed a light coat of gloss black.....this when dry gave it a sort of satin finish to which i added a little acrylic rust detail , the screen surround was matt black so i glued some silver paper around it and added a little rust...followed by black and rust washes to the engine and interior which was previously light mettalic green but now painted a more tradditional red...........this is how it looks so far .
makes a change putting a model together with screws instead of glue!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
this is what i did with the left over parts of my 1/16th scale mustang and the 1/18th scale hi tech deuce that donated parts for the mustang build.
it started out as the hi tech version of ERTL,s roadster, mettalic green and flamed with blown chevy and billet wheels and steering wheel etc...but as you may know i robbed most parts for the mustang build.so was left with a shell , interior and axles.
having been highly influenced by bedyo1,s forgotten treasure build i decided to build a weathered rod but un like andys mine was to look as though it was still in use!
i started by building the v8 from the mustang kit and installing it in the chassis then modding the mustangs steel rims to fit it, the body work was rubbed down with 400 grade paper and sprayed with terracotta paint, from a distance to give texture and then while still wet i sprayed a light coat of gloss black.....this when dry gave it a sort of satin finish to which i added a little acrylic rust detail , the screen surround was matt black so i glued some silver paper around it and added a little rust...followed by black and rust washes to the engine and interior which was previously light mettalic green but now painted a more tradditional red...........this is how it looks so far .
makes a change putting a model together with screws instead of glue!
yellapop that looks fantastic great job 10/10. it looks so good in the outdoor pics buddy and the look is spot on and i am yet again overwhelmed buy the fact my build inspired yo to do it that way seems i have inspired a couple of people to do the beat up
wetherd look so i suppose i got get mine finished now lol. been doing my sheds so i got a nice place to build em in piece lol, it realy dose look the nuts though les :tup:

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah...............andy pull your bloody finger out!!!!! before it rusts away!!!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
:DThat looks really good - or at least it would if you got your finger out of the way in the photos and got the car in focus!!!!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:DThat looks really good - or at least it would if you got your finger out of the way in the photos and got the car in focus!!!!
lol! did rush the pics as it had just started to rain :grr: will take some more , and try a bit harder next time !!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Although I quite like the hi-tech version, I prefer yours! As for the pics, it looks like you are getting too close for your camera. Try moving a bit further away and then cropping the photo on your computer to get rid of unwanted background while getting the car in focus.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Like the sepia toned one, looks like an old cutting ftom a fifties hop-up mag. :tup:

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
love the b/w pic buddy i want to do that with mine but aint got a clue or the softwear lol.
microsoft pictre it! not sure if it was part of microsoft office suite or i may have downloaded it from somewhere??...... its really simple (must be if i can use it )....to use too....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts