Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you might know the nsra forum is having a model contest.

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=32761&highlight=model+contest

I was just wondering if we could run one as well as a FRIENDLY competion against them with maybe the winner on here and one on there being judged by an 'outsider' for annual forum cup.
We could use the same rules but our model could be POST49.

I know its short notice but I think it might be fun and bring us closer together.
What does anyone think?
R.H.

If anyone on the here who is an NSRA member wants to put the idea to them than that would be appeciated.

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
As some of you might know the nsra forum is having a model contest.

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=32761&highlight=model+contest

I was just wondering if we could run one as well as a FRIENDLY competion against them with maybe the winner on here and one on there being judged by an 'outsider' for annual forum cup.
We could use the same rules but our model could be POST49.

I know its short notice but I think it might be fun and bring us closer together.
What does anyone think?
R.H.
If anyone on the here who is an NSRA member wants to put the idea to them than that would be appeciated.
Good idea, but I don't think it'll "bring us closer together", as some people (ex guests) still have a bad feeling towards the nsra. I feel that this place runs just fine without the nsra being mentioned. Last time it did all hell broke loose here. :shake:
I feel it's better to just forget what's gone on in the past, let bygones be bygones & let both forums run independantly of each other.;) cheers.....Nige

·
My name is Martin
2,611 Posts
Have an RnS one, but forget the NSRA. It will end up in handbagging

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Good idea, but I don't think it'll "bring us closer together", as some people (ex guests) still have a bad feeling towards the nsra. I feel that this place runs just fine without the nsra being mentioned. Last time it did all hell broke loose here. :shake:
I feel it's better to just forget what's gone on in the past, let bygones be bygones & let both forums run independantly of each other.;) cheers.....Nige
Agreed as above.

Feel free to run any compo's you want on here but i'd prefer not to introduce any site vs site competitions.

I just don't think any 'competitive' element would work at the mo and we all know there's no such thing as a 'friendly' competition :lol:.

Many of the members on here are also members of the NSRA so that'd lead to a 'taking sides' issue. Also, this site isn't a pre or a post anything so I don't fancy the post49 criteria much either. We're not here for taking up leftovers :tup:

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate people coming up with ideas of stuff to do and to make this community better I just don't think this one would have the desired effect at the current time :( Maybe in a year or so once the waters have properly settled ??

·
Registered
158 Posts
what about a wet t shirt competition?................sorry wrong type of model...................................i"ll get me coat...........

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That`s OK I can see what you are saying ( I used to post on the other forum until you know what).
The Post49 part was so we didn`t end up with the same sort of cars. (Variety.... etc).
Maybe it`s something that could organised on here for this forum by someone (Not me, I would not know where to start).
R.H.

·
My name is Martin
2,611 Posts
It's easy, just start a thread saying all entries need to be done by a certain date.

I don't think there should be any post/pre 49 classification etc. As this place also caters for the odds and sods too.

That aside, I'm sure Shedster might want to put a motorbike model in ;)

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
It's easy, just start a thread saying all entries need to be done by a certain date.
That's pretty much all there is to it :tup:

Once the end date is up then we could run a poll for people to vote for their choice. Almost exactly how the NSRA one is run :tup:

·
Slacker journo
143 Posts
If you want to go head to head with another forum in a model building contest I'd suggest approaching the Retro Rides board (http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?). They seem like a friendly bunch who are open to new/alternative ideas and there's often mentions of scale models on one section of the their board.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,741 Posts
I was one of the organisers of last years contest and agree totally with Si's comments. I hadn't made a model for years but really enjoyed myself and feel it should be about fun rather than competition. We made the entries all use the same model in an effort to level the playing field but as it turned out we mistakenly picked a 32 model that had just been discontinued!
One point that gave us grief last year . I asked for multiple pics of each model to be put up so that people could appreciate the amount of work and mods that had been done. Unfortunately the voting public found it hard to trawl through so many photos and it was then suggested that we only show one pic of each. The problem is that this makes it easier to see what your voting on but you miss many detail items that may have been put in. Not sure of the best way forward on that one.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Will these do ? ...

a blast from the past :incheek: ...lol look at the rot set in to those magnesium wheels .

·
Paint it or Lose it
737 Posts
we had a 55 exactly like that its the monogram snap together body on a slot car chassis :D

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've had these for donkey's years, found the shells as cheapo friction models in our local 'Everything For Quid' shop (think they were £1.99 each), and they were more or less the same wheelbase as Scalextric Metros. A bit of Airfix cement and they were the easiest cheapest rods I've ever built....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
id be up for it!
instead of a set criteria, just leave it open.
then maybye have a best rod, best drag, best custom, best muscle. or a top 2/5.

that way you'll get all sorts of cars. :)

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
One point that gave us grief last year . I asked for multiple pics of each model to be put up so that people could appreciate the amount of work and mods that had been done. Unfortunately the voting public found it hard to trawl through so many photos and it was then suggested that we only show one pic of each. The problem is that this makes it easier to see what your voting on but you miss many detail items that may have been put in. Not sure of the best way forward on that one.
I could work a way around that so that individual models could have multiple pics without it being too much of a task to view them. I would say limit it to 3 or 5 though just to save having the odd SVA style documented build :D

1 - 20 of 97 Posts