Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Monday Bike Pics

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  ROCKIN WOLEY 
#1 ·
And by special request, we're doing it 'Swedish Style' this Monday... :D

See less See more
#5 ·
Mmmm, bit like asking 'what's a chopper?' or 'what's a bobber?' (no, don't go there.... :shake:)

My take on it is long forks, but on a bike that sits real low to the ground, carrying plenty of rake. Initially it meant wide telescopic forks and a car tyre (before wide bike tyres came into being), minimal seat, tiny peanut tank, and some sort of pullback bars, so I've strayed slightly from the true ethos in some of the pics, but hey, you get the general idea.... ;)

#8 ·
Kin ell..............

10 deffo 1st, then 1, 2, 4, & 9 in no particular order.

Currently collecting parts for a chop, and undecided to go for a Fatboy rear wheel with Avon Speedmaster or a car wheel with a car tyre. Only thing putting me off the car rear wheel is I'm not sure how hard it will be to make fit.
I want it in a very similar style to No 10 but with a Sportster tank, not so long forks, Hinckley Triumph motor and rear wheel as above depending on difficulty to fit.

Cheers Odgie :tup:

I like Exile too :)

#9 ·
odgie was is a bobber:D
seriously,been drivin bikes,chops even a trike(yuk) for 30 years and the "bobber"thing is new to me
think it's another trendy name for a chopped bike painted satin black
anyway,i prefair goin round bends at speed so how about doin some streetfighters next week:tup:

#13 ·
Oh heck....... :roll:

Bobbers have kinda come back into fashion, but they were really the first 'custom' bikes. The Yanks stripped all the junk off the lardy H-Ds to try and keep up with the lightweight Limey bikes. They cut down or 'bobbed' the mudguards (fenders to them), to make a 'bob-job', and the bobber was born. Nowadays I guess it's a custom bike with fairly stock proportions - rigid frame, standard or even shortened forks, generally built from bits and pieces rather than aftermarket parts, and not particularly shiny. Stick a skinny front tyre, some white grips, and a bit of flake on it, and you got the next incarnation, the Sixties West Coast look. Wack on some longer forks, and hey, then you got a chopper. But then, what do I know......? :cry: ;)

Not really a streetfighter man at all (apart from when the term was first invented in the early 80s, and it meant a rigid lowrider with a nose cone fairing - I think Irish Stewart built the very first one, or certainly one of the first), so apologies if I swerve that one, sorry... :)

#10 ·
I was going to ask if that was a car tyre but didnt want to look stupid :whistle:

The only down side with a car tyre (remembering i know nothing about bikes) is that a car tyre is designed to run in the verticle plane thus giving the full tread width contact and a bike tyre is design to be able to lay over

Am i right in my way of thinking (and not forgetting the smaller diameter tyre size)

#11 ·
Vince, you are right about car tyres. Plus, as far as I know it's illegal to use a car tyre on a bike, something down to improper use of it's intended purpose I think.
It is a little silly really, have you seen the profile of the Avon Speedmasters ? More squared off than some car tyres.

It's purely down to looks for me, and I love em. I'm not a big fan of all the oversized proper bike rubber though. 200 section is big enough in my eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.