Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm tearing down an old 383 motor and I'm unable to remove the distributor. The rebuild book simply says 'remove the retaining bolt in the block' and I've removed a bolt next to it but it still won't budge. Any tips? I don't really want to force it but it's not moving at all!

cheers

·
Registered
376 Posts
It'll be turned by the gear on the cam, could try turning the block over by hand without it in just to see if its a little stuck and it may well pop up

If not and the previous owner has been a smart arse and painted the block without taking out the dizzy it could well be glued down with paint in which case a small pry bar or some heat may be needed

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
they do have a tendency to just get stuck im afraid if not been touched for a long time, should just pull up n out with no resistance.the sticking point is the base of the dizzy where the clamp holds it, its a close fit into the block under this with a rubber sealing ring to if I rem right, bit of heat, gentle tap.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I've been tapping recently but it doesn't move at all. I'll persevere this weekend... The gear turns very slightly on the camshaft but the engine is seized. One quite rusty cylinder too so not sure what I'm going to do with that...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts