Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Earlier this month me and my dad bought a new 3 branch exhaust manifold for my 1965, 1 litre, 1098cc Morris minor. The original manifold had cracked so we unbolted it from the block and ground the inlet manifold off {like the moggy forum Advised us to}, we then test fitted the new 3 branch exhaust manifold and the modified stock inlet manifold would not fit over the new middle exhaust pipe {The Siamesed one}. help on where to find a new inlet manifold or how to overcome this problem would be appreciated.

thanks

Loz:)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Twin carb it. I did one last month. Drop me your details in a pm and I'll send photos

Trigger

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
I've had a similar problem with a later single carb "A" series manifold. Is your exhaust manifold a LCB (Long Centre Branch) type? If so, it isn't too difficult to cut the loose centre pipe off the manifold flange, cut some metal off the pipe and weld it back onto the manifold flange -the loose centre pipe should still fit in the collector afterwards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We decided to go with one carb only because we're trying to keep the big power increases down because this is my first car and I'm 17. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Big power increases in a Moggy? Mate, you've nowt to worry about LOL!

You actually want a bit more poke in these to get you out of situations where you need to nip out quickly (roundabouts etc). I ran a Moggy for years, had the original 850cc motor in it at first until that died about 50 years after leaving the factory. It was sluggish, slow, lazy, and dangerous sometimes. There's a hill very close to where I live with a speed camera about 500 yards from the junction to get onto that road. Giving it everything I had, I wasn't able to be speeding when I passed that camera hahaha! I swapped out for an 1100cc with a few small choice modifications and it transformed the car... With that new engine I could be doing at least 35 when I hit the speed camera. I swear if I'd ever got a speeding fine in that car I would have framed it! The gearbox would run out of legs at about 55/60 in any case. My point here is this... You aren't ever going to get enough power or speed out of it using stock off the shelf bits for it to be a problem for a new driver, but the twin carbs and waking it up a little will make it more driveable. To get into "trouble" with the amount of power you are going to have to do some cylinder head work, change the cam, fit some straps to the crank to hold down crank whip, up the compression ratio some, and do lots of tinkering. It's perfectly doable mind you, but you are worrying for nothing. :) Once you are more confident driving, stick some twins on it, whip your head off for a port & polish job, fit a free flowing exhaust with a little less back pressure (not too much less mind you otherwise you'll turn the car into a complete dog), and you will have a more lively car that is by no means fast or quick but will trundle around just nicely and is much more driveable (and possibly better on fuel since you won't need to be at wide open throttle quite so much!).

Oh, one more thing... Nice choice of first car, buddy! Like a bloke with good taste. Can you weld?

·
Registered
332 Posts
nice choice:tup: that is a proper first car, mine was a mk1 gt cortina after a couple of years five of us had same cars , that was mid 70,s i owned 25 cars in my first year but kept the cortina , helped my dad was a trader , speedy spares of brighton have a lot of parts for classics always worth a call ,

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

Here you go, over a weekend i fitted Twin su''s and 48mm side pipe to mates minor. It had a 5.35 different but that was swapped for a 4.22 and now it's drivable since its his daily it had to be. Smithy can now pull out at roundabouts and do 60mph and keep up with traffic. You can make minors a bit more nippy.

If you pm me a email I'll send conversion photos.

Trigger

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Blimey! a Conversion & Tuning centre manifold. After they had gone out of business, I well remember the huge pile of casting patterns and coreboxes discarded in a heap outside the foundry where the manifolds and rocker boxes etc. were cast.

C & T's place was at Tulse Hill in Sarf Lunnen but the castings were made at a foundry on Bromley common. Some of the junked patterns were for really out of the ordinary combinations - an inlet manifold for twin Webers for a Volvo was one of them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The twins will completely change the whole car

1 - 14 of 14 Posts