Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
DVLA website shows registered !st January 1960.MOT cut off is vehicle manufactured before !st Jan 1960 so it was obviously manufactured before the cut off date so is MOT exempt

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
Just checked the reg on the clever phone app it says reg date is 1/1/1960

--- New Post Merged As Per 5 Day Bump Rule ---

I dont right see how an mot really matters either way you still have to maintain the thing only benefit is not having to fork out £50 for the ticket

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Just checked the reg on the clever phone app it says reg date is 1/1/1960

--- New Post Merged As Per 5 Day Bump Rule ---

I dont right see how an mot really matters either way you still have to maintain the thing only benefit is not having to fork out £50 for the ticket
The £50 is the benefit obviously! £50 is a lot of money to some people.

How do you prove manufacture date, as opposed to date first registered?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Talking to my M.O.T tester the other day rumors that it might be raised to 1980, but what he is finding that people with cars before 1960 are still coming in to have a check as some of there insurance company's are requesting that they are road worthy .

·
Registered
945 Posts
The £50 is the benefit obviously! £50 is a lot of money to some people.
I've never paid £50 for an MOT and I only know of a couple of people who have (think £52 or thereabouts) when they got the MOT done at a main dealer.

I have always maintained that a cheaper MOT could have been agreed to check brake efficiency, chassis condition, suspension and steering, anything else would in my book be necessary. Could have been done for about £20, not having to pay WILL mean some owners will be driving less than great condition vehicles, reason I say this is I know a couple of people that never service their cars and only do things when they breakdown or fail.

·
Registered
504 Posts
This was in a letter sent to me from DVLC.
The exemption will also apply if the V5C Registration Certificate indicates that the vehicle was registered from 1st January 1960 up to and including 7th January 1960. This is based on the assumption that the vehicle would have been made in the previous year.

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
well they knocked me back on my '60 International Harvester panel van as the title said date of first use was 00/60. I argued that it was obviously manufactured prior to 1960, but the Edinburgh office knocked me back last year. No probs really, just meant I had to MOT it and so the price went up before selling it!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,131 Posts
Talking to my M.O.T tester the other day rumors that it might be raised to 1980, but what he is finding that people with cars before 1960 are still coming in to have a check as some of there insurance company's are requesting that they are road worthy .
The rumour would be due to Historic becoming 1984 currecntly ( Rolling 30 year old ) and all STANDARD Historics being exempt from MOT . Don't get excited, that doesn't necessarily mean they will be tax free. That is however the official across EU description of Historic but we have yet to find out how it will be applied in the UK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts