Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the missus have just got back from the med.
We took my renault traffic,put a mattress in the back and had a great time;
I don't use my van much and was thinking of flogging it and buying a camper or motorhome. It was having to find a McDonalds or supermarket to clean teeth etc that made me think a motorhome or camper could be the hot ticket.
Anyone got any thoughts on which one i should get up to a max of £10,000
it needs to sleep 4 and be pretty economic
thanks
Neil

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
check out Ebay, we are thinking of doing the same next year when i can get to some of my pension . We will probably go for a Peugeot Coach built type, you can get an 02-05 for between £15,000 and £20,000 but for that you get all you need, battery /mains, toilet, shower double bed below and double over the cab and full size cooker. Being based on the boxer with the 2 lt turbo should get around 25 - 28 on a run.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the tip but i've £10,000 at best and that means selling one of the wifes kidneys

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Would still see whats on Ebay Neil , but £10,000 not a lot in camper world, even a real dog will make £2000-£3000 Saw a rot and i mean real rot old style Fiat Ducato sell for £1800 a couple of months ago it was almost only good for spares. Not sure what the market is like over in France.

thanks for the tip but i've £10,000 at best and that means selling one of the wifes kidneys

·
Registered
191 Posts
For 10 grand you could do a self build, loads of info on YouTube, 5k would get a decent lwb hi top then do the inside to your own spec...simples :)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
built a couple of vans, T4, T5 the gold Dodge A108 in CC, the t4's and t'5s are superb vans, you will incorporate some 'scene' tax but the drive superb and have great resale value, regarding the VW'S everythings out there, even dedicated magazines, as for my camper days we stepped up to Fiat Rapido and now a Fiat Bessacar and have no regrets more money but if you use it a lot worth every penny, great drive, shower, nice fixed bed etc......happy days

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Like most things there's a compromise with Camper vans predominately based around space versus drive ability.

Buy a big 'un it's great on site but can be a pain to store and drive, where as a small one may be a little cramped but you will be more inclined to use it.

Forget overpriced rotten and slow VW's consider a Mazda Bongo/Ford Freda freetop.

Standard spec includes coil over shocks, all round discs, auto box, 130 bhp turbo diesel, electric roof , electric blinds, central locking, electric folding mirrors, electric soft close side door and loads more.

Bed in the roof and downstairs, It's at least half the price of a VW and it's quick and reliable.

Had ours for 5-6 years and up to recently the missus used it as her daily, been great.

Possibly worth considering?

·
Old Rod Old Sod!
329 Posts
Campervans are great had them for years mostly VW but had this for four years and sold it in February always wanted one.

Downsized to this now a Burstner, does a bit more than 8 mpg

I know this is way of your budget but what ever you can get for your budget you will enjoy so much, the freedom it gives you, just roll up switch of and get a cold one out the fridge, camper vans are great, I do miss my hot rod but I can still do the shows. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no Graham he did a deal with someone else.
I'm going to sell my metropolitan to up the anti a bit as I need some luxuries. Kipping in the back of my van when it was 37° with my hot sweaty missus wasn't the treat i'd hoped it would be. Air con is a must as is twin berths

1 - 20 of 21 Posts