Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone shed any light on this banjo, my son has just been given it and we are trying to find out more about it.... looks old n well made, but needs bringing back to life! overall lenth is 24" and 11" dia, the relative that passed it to my son has know idea about it, but says he has owned it for at least 50yrs... can anyone help?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Looks like a BanjoMandolin, tune it the same as a mandolin, not to be confused with a Banjolin, which only has 4 stringg; plays a bit louder than a mandolin, can be used for rhythm riff or or for picking out the melody. Great little instrument not played so much these days, but still seen in traditional folk sessions, also good for music hall style performance, but versatile enough to play almost anything, just get practising...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think the banjolin only has 4 strings Marty?

/QUOTE]

Quite right Ron, (here we go, anorack time) but the names tend to get mixed up- the french name for a banjomandolin is a Banjoline, and of course people get them mixed up with Ukelelebanjo which George Formby played (and that has only 4 strings and is to different uke tuning).
For players of the Fiddle the Banjomandolin makes a good alternative instrument as it has the same tuning

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help ppl :tup: ive been doing some googling and think it may be a zither style mandolin-banjo still dont know the make though....might be a makers name if we pulled it apart, but dont want to do that yet till i find out more, just in case... its worth something:tup:

·
Registered
280 Posts
If its a good quality instrument the makers name should be on it somewhere on the outside of it; a lot of these were made in the early 20th century, some of very high quality, many as cheap as chips. I would recommend contacting someone like Hobgoblin music, perhaps email your photo's, they do a lot with S/H instruments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts