Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't decide what to do for the best.

I have a '40s Chevy pick-up and I'm looking to upgrade the suspension as well as other mods inc. 327 V8 and TH350 auto box.

So I'm looking into either a Mustang II IFS maybe from Heidts, or a Jaguar IFS.
Can anyone share their experience of either or both of these two set-ups. Pros and cons etc.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used Jag on mine as the whole car cost less than £500 & got the LHD rack from On Track Steering. if you stick it in the search function it'll bring loads up as there've been loads of posts on the subject.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
376 Posts
In my opinion it comes down to money, I would have loved to have been able to put a mustang II front end (with airbags) in my 46 project but was just too expensive so went the jag route due to affordability although the jag front is tried and tested by many and I would do it again. hope that helps!? Cheers, Smiffy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.
So, I know that the Jag route will be cheaper. But assuming for now that money isn't the issue - what are the differences in ride etc?
Does anyone have experience of both options that they can compare?

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Have you measured youre truck front end to see if a stock width jag will fit.

I know they fit fifties trucks ok,but is youre truck the same width.

The couple of full size forties cars ive done,the jag clips are to wide.

If moneys no object,why not get a custom one made for youre truck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great topic guys
I've a 39 coupe and want to drop the front end. I was thinking of adapting the leafs to the bottom of the I beam and notching the chassis legs. Then ready this topic regarding fitting a jag axle is good if it fits. Has anyone got the measurement of a Jag unit so I can if one will fit on my 39 Cheers Steve.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have recently been thinking about posting this very same question, what are the pros and cons of both set ups and which one do people think is the best, be it for ride height, handling, comfort, etc?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi mdbs, I was just posting to remind you as I thought you hadn't seen your PMs. No need to get arsey. :)

Thanks for sending the pics. To be honest I was looking for something a little more complete. Hub to hub including steering rack, track rods etc.
Also, it looks like it's been at the bottom of a swamp! - Although it is cheap.
I don't mind restoring things but I do have limited free time and this needs plenty of work. Way too much scaling etc.

Thanks again for sending pics though.

Tony

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Great topic guys
I've a 39 coupe and want to drop the front end. I was thinking of adapting the leafs to the bottom of the I beam and notching the chassis legs. Then ready this topic regarding fitting a jag axle is good if it fits. Has anyone got the measurement of a Jag unit so I can if one will fit on my 39 Cheers Steve.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Jag front clip is aprox 61 1/2 inches wide.thats hub face to hub face.

As said befor they can be to wide for early vehicles,especially if you want a low ride height.easy to narrow though.

I have recently been thinking about posting this very same question, what are the pros and cons of both set ups and which one do people think is the best, be it for ride height, handling, comfort, etc?
If you buy a mustang kit for youre vehicle it will sit at whatever ride height the company made it for.

With a jag you choose the ride height.

Jag clips are still pretty plentyfull.id expect to pay 250 to 300 for a decent one.bear in mind though,they well need new bushes/ball joints etc.parts are ready available and not too expensive.

Not sure what a yanky kit like heidts costs,maybe 2 k.so more expensive than the jag.you could have a custom front end built here for less.

Remember you dont just put in a front clip and thats it.if you started with drum brakes you will need to change master cylinder and poss add a servo.you need to add a power steering pump/hoses .steering will also need to be hooked up,and different wheels to suit the jag pcd

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not going to get involved in an argument BUT do you not understand the letters LOL?
And my not replying in the same time it took you is not out of line, and my offer was to give you some measurements, ie, to help you, selling the clip is irrelevant. Sorry that i didnt drop everything just to answer your 2 PMs sent over the 2 days
And then to make such comments about the clip is not nice.
I will not comment further.

Hi mdbs, I was just posting to remind you as I thought you hadn't seen your PMs. No need to get arsey. :)

Thanks for sending the pics. To be honest I was looking for something a little more complete. Hub to hub including steering rack, track rods etc.
Also, it looks like it's been at the bottom of a swamp! - Although it is cheap.
I don't mind restoring things but I do have limited free time and this needs plenty of work. Way too much scaling etc.

Thanks again for sending pics though.

Tony

1 - 20 of 20 Posts