Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....Fleeting visits, I'm afraid.
As some know, I was a prolific builder of 1/25th scale, but after a dire eyesight diagnosis, I gave it all up, left the forum 3 years ago and sold most of my models. But, it's not easy to give up a hobby that has lasted a lifetime, so after a while I started building in 1/8th scale, larger parts - but need small detail, however taking my time and not compromising my sight.
I have finished eight cars now, and for a time I was showing them on Facebook's Large Scale Models forum, but the rolling pages of the internet gave me sight issues, so I had to leave there too.
Here are my 1/8th's....lots of scratchbuilding....more images to follow. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

I've owned this '32 for over 20 years, and has been altered to reflect that period,
it actually fell to bits after picking it up one day, but I kept the original colour, when
pastels were in vogue.

....on my drive a couple of years ago ! ��

·
fat rotbox rodder
5,805 Posts
great to see you back Ron .very nice builds:tup::tup:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Dal - but as said, will be only fleeting visits. I just couldn’t give up plastic ! :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

...my Pendine Sands '32 Roadster - another ebay gluebomb resurrection.

....as it arrived to me, sadly no wheels or tyres - doors and trunk had to be opened and hinged. :D

·
My name is Martin
2,615 Posts
These are brilliant!

I had a 1/8 scale Corvette model kit, which I had to sell to clear up space for a house move and I needed money. It was sold to someone your neck of the woods as a gift for a model builder. If it was you (probably not though), hats off for doing something with it, I'd never be able to do :tup: :smoke:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks for the reply Martin.
I actually bought my Corvette from Germany, brand new, but I was disappointed that it was no better than an enlarged 1/25th scale with very little detail....considering I paid over £100 for it. No opening doors on a scale this big is a rip off - so It had to go the full treatment, but it took me a year to complete.
The interesting bit is that there is somebody else living close to me that is building big scale - and I wonder who ? :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers again Dal - the big block engine and injector system is all scratch-built, but hinging the doors was the biggest headache. I'm still not satisfied with them and promised myself that I'd have another go sometime in the future. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

....these big scale cars can really trick the eye ! :D

..the scratched roller cabinet and topbox, and trolley jack, can be just seen in the black and white image. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here are a few examples of my scratch-building.
This post may appear to be a boast of 'look at me, ain't I clever.' - but it's not meant to be, it's about having an idea and going for it. Most people into modelling can do it using sheet plastic and an assortment of plastic tubing and a dab of filler. It's a whole different way of building instead of just buying a kit and gluing it together - nothing wrong with that, I did it for years, but building on a bigger scale kinda makes you have to attempt it. It certainly surprised me how well they all turned out.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts