Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks.
I’m just enthusiastic, and it gives me a buzz. :D
I’ve built cars for real and always have a classic, project or bike in my garage.
I was introduced to plastic modelling by my father when I was eight, and have built sporadically ever since.
I’d have a good bet that everybody on this forum has had a go at building scale model cars in the past, and many still do. It’s a hobby and a pastime, that I call engineering in miniature. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Like these. And the weathered look looks more realistic than the perfect "show room" model.
Are the regs off the turquois '32 and the black T Bucket a nod to the local reg nos. (eg, Darlo?).

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Cheers.....all the mumberplates that I use on my models belonged to cars and bikes I have owned.
Guess what this one is...?

·
My name is Martin
2,615 Posts
Didn't know a Raleigh bike came with any cc's let alone a massive 78cc!

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts

....these big scale cars can really trick the eye ! :D
You really got me with that one, even after I enlarged it, thought you'd put a pic of the real car you'd made a model of!

Excellent work, I give it a 10 :tup:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Well spotted 30psi....or did you just do a vehicle check ? :pmsl::pmsl:
...and cheers 28 Chevy, if I can’t have the real thing, this is the nearest I can get to it. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more kits, with my eyesight issues and all, but I bagged this BigT kit on Ebay at the weekend. It's the last issue that comes with bits and bobs from previous kits. I paid more than I wanted to, but these things are getting rarer by the day. I have no idea in what style to go for, maybe early 50's drag, Bonneville flatter ? - your guess is as good as mine. I'll be adding all the usual wiring, fuel and brake lines - with this lockdown and Covid panic, it'll give me something to do and get away from the durge on TV. :D:D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Cheers. :tup:

Since winning my kit, and it arriving today, it has given me time to think how to build this latest model. I like to give my vehicles a British slant, like those that could be seen at the Pod, but with this one I might make into another Pendine or Bridlington sand racer, as a companion to my last '32. I fancy ditching the V8 too, and scratch building a Pinto four banger. First job will be to box the frame and soak all the chrome in Mr.Muscle. :D:D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)

So, 6 weeks on, and this is where my Big Tee is today. The proposed Pinto engine has emerged as a Kent crossflow, with throttle bodies. The engine and box are scratchbuilt. It's in the painted frame which is fully wired with fuel and brake lines. Wire wheels are from the Monogram E type. The body and interior are next to do, and the whole model should be finished by Christmas. �� fingers crossed.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)

Funny isn't it ? ...that when building cars, models or for real, they never turn out like the pictures in your head ? This goes for the T...but it's kinda like I wanted it with a four banger.
It's done though, but I'll probably end up going back to add a small screen, and a few extra details later. .....and better photos. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
......and where to next ?
I still have the Big Citroen Light Fifteen to finish, which still needs a lot to do, although all the cutting and chopping and filling is all done.

......or I have this E type Jaguar, bought from Ebay, smashed after rolling off a shelf. Let's see what Santa brings before I go any further :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Happy New Year all !
I kinda rushed the Big T to have it finished for Christmas, so I've delved into it again to properly finish it off.
I binned the big barrel fuel tank, and constructed a simple rectangular affair, so the body now sits lower. I also added a windscreen to deflect the bugs, and a roll bar for safety. Finally adding a cylinder air cleaner with a cone filter to stop sand getting in the injectors. The car wouldn't be eligible for vintage sand racing with it's modern motor exposed, but it is built in the spirit.
Now I'm calling it finished !
My son bought me a 1/8th trike kit for Christmas, so that'll be the next model to look out for. Cheers. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Cheers Dal. :tup:

....while I'm on, here's how the trike's going :

The chopper trike. Job one, was to bin the front bars and forks, and replace them with new scratchbuilt parts. Second job, was to bin the horrible seat, and vulture, then the kit was built more or less as the plans, to the point you see here....but with a custom exhaust system.
Personally, I'm not too keen on Harleys - can't get away with the feet forward position - sitting straight backed on the saddle gave me backache, and high bars meant my fingers went numb after only a few miles. Yep, I prefer gripping the bike between my knees - not that I'll be doing it anytime soon, due to injuries from my last bike accident - ahh, but that's life ! :D

....the custom system made with architectural model piping and bends, with brass tube.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts