Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, when I posted my intro Brading thought my Chevy might be interesting to some of you so here goes.

I had the cash from selling my last toy and I thought this Chevy was the coolest looking thing I'd seen for ages, it ran, the brake linkages where seized but I bought it on sight, no hesitation at all, could have done with a bigger trailer to drag it home on!

DSCF5412.jpg

Apparently it had sat in a barn since 1970 , the seller/importer had a pic of it as found.

In shed USA.jpg

I did some research into the previous owner and by searching the US electoral role, US realtor sites and Google Earth I managed to locate the very same shed....which wasn't too easy as the entrance was on the corner of a crossroads and I kept passing it until I swept 360 in street view in the middle of the junction and saw it down beside the house, good fun and sort of cool to know where it was for all that time.

Howell home garage 2.jpg

It seems the first owner passed in 1970 and left it to his son, who has also passed I believe. I like to think it was the son who then waved a few rattle cans of metallic blue on the panels and hand brushed a coat of black and silver over the rest without any preparation at all (the underside and engine mud pans were encrusted with up to an inch of set hard shale and mud) I reckon from dirt roads, and he'd painted over that as well. Own up who didn't do the same at that age!

This car is about as original as it gets, a bit more battered than it looks in these pics, but even has the old type bayonet grease fittings, except for the front and rear spring pin ones that show which are changed to modern ones, and those seem to be the only ones to have seen any grease! The wiring was shot but more of that later.

Knowing nothing about these old Chevys I was amazed to see an original solid mounted OHV cross flow head engine in it, first produced in 1914, most people who see it won't believe it's original, makes me smile, this I like a lot : )

DSCF5434.jpg

DSCF5432.jpg

The engine is a bit tired so when the time comes it will be rebuilt with some period 'hop up' parts, call me a bit soft but I like to think I'll be finishing what the son started when he spruced it up back then...

This won't be a 'get it done in time for Pendine' build, or even a planned route to owning/building an old skool style hot rod (as everything so far has come about by serendipity and happenstance) but more like just me sharing my luck with anyones who's interested.

My current intention is to gently morph it into a 'hopped up' fun ride that a teenager who got passed down his old dad's family car might have ended up with back then, the end result is yet to be decided.

We're just enjoying it as it is for now, so this may take some time......

Bernard

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Looks great- The '28 is the one to have IMO, with the four wheel brakes, "twin port" head and fully enclosed valve gear. Just in case you haven't seen it already, there's a comprehensive thread on these late Chevy four banger motors here: 1928 chevy 4cyl motor | The H.A.M.B.

I have recently bought home a '28 Chevy Phaeton, this one came from Oz-here's a couple of pics.

Runs and drives OK, but I have some upgrades in mind as well as sorting some of the "looks" issues like the hideous modern indicators someone has installed.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Stu, that's a very nice Chevy you've got there, not too much work needed either.

I have seen the HAMB tread and a moderate increase in power can be had quite easily it seems, which should stop me getting too bored!

I've put LED bulb indicators and brake lights on mine and a multi LED conversion in the original centre rear light, I like too be seen and they're very bright,

it's hard to make these things look period but hopefully mine aren't as obvious as those on yours..

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

I met great chap lives near me who has a 1926 Chevy, it's amazing whats lurking un seen in sheds ..

Terry's 26 laughton.jpg

I have a load of pics of my progress so I may make this into a build thread, maybe a Mod move it to the garage section please?

Bernard

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A few more, the horn was just laying loose in the mud tray on an inch or more of set hard road dirt and oil.
The fluffy stuff by the horn is clutch fibre that has escaped out of the timing mark viewing hole, luckily soaked in oil!

DSCF5435.jpg

Slick wind up windshield that directs air down behind the dash onto ones feet when raised 1/2" then onto the drivers face as one winds it higher up, way too cool!

DSCF5402.jpg

Spot the steering lock/ignition key, we didn't get that sort of stuff till the sixties over here!

DSCF5424.jpg

Chev 6.jpg

28 chevy brochure.jpg

I have loads more pics of my mechanical fixes and workarounds, I've machined a few new parts and such which I can post if anyone's interested, don't want to bore you all rigid with my ramblings though!

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
More please....
Just for you then wee paul :tup:

I'll post in the order of fixing these problems, none of which came as a surprise, I'd spotted most things before I bought the car, and enjoy the challenge.

So here's the brake cross shaft with it's called 'self lubricating' bearings.

These are spherical to accommodate chassis flex and be self aligning.
They are made of an early form of die cast Zamak which expands and falls apart with age, the expansion seized them to the shaft and housing, the PO had added many extra springs around the system which was no help at all!

IMG_2080.jpg

The arms were fixed to the shafts by hammering the protruding ends of the shafts over, ground that off to remove one pair of arms to slide the shafts out.

DSCF5516 - Copy.jpg

Then slid off the bearing supports and chopped off the rivets which held them together, to expose the cracked bearing which then fell to bits.

DSCF5511 - Copy.jpg

Made a form tool from an old wood chisel, and turned new bearings out of Delrin engineering plastic.

DSCF5522.jpg

That worked so I drilled the centre with a flat bit made for wood..

DSCF5525.jpg

Bernard

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made a practice bearing out of wood because it was way to tricky to guess the original size, a lot of trial and error fittings made black witness marks on the wood and I when I thought it was about right I ground the form too to fit it.

IMG_2114.jpg

Welded the arms back on then used round head socket screws and acorn nuts to fix the bearing plate halves together and put it all back, a quick rattle over with Tool Station silk black paint and all done,

IMG_2864.jpg

Bernard

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The original Carb has Zamak parts inside which have cracked with age, although the engine ran with it mixture control was rather erratic to say the least!

So I could go for a run I made up a quick manifold to fit a good old reliable SU, kept it low so the gravity feed from the atovac would work, but without the original hot air feed from the exhaust heat exchanger the manifold iced up!

SU at first start.JPG

I then tried bolting a pair of SUs with ram bell mouths straight to the head, the flanges fitted.....and how hot rod did that look :D sorry no pics of that, way too excited to think about that! :D And it was a rubbish set up anyhow..

After a lot of effing about I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on a brand new universal up draught tractor carb. Adjustable main and idle jets, choice of three fuel inlets, choke can be fitted either side, butterfly spindle passes right through to allow the Chevy type hand throttle linkage to be used.

To top all that it has 'atmosphere compensation' which means it will accept any type of induction system, restrictive hot air feed pipe or open bell mouth, which means the pressure on the fuel in the float chamber always matches the jet. That's how I understand it anyway and it works does perfectly!
No accelerator pump but neither did the original, hey ho!

IMG_2449.jpg

Made a flange and turned up an adapter to fit the hot air flexi and the crank case vent pipe.

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

Fitted an iline electric pump filter and water trap, spot the big mistake (well two actually) that spoilt my day later on!

DSCF5474.jpg

More to come

Bernard

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nice work bernard .:tup:
Thanks but it's really all seat of the pants engineering, no clever measuring involved, and I get lucky some times!

·
Registered
26 Posts
i will use the your pics off the Original set up, because i have all te parts in a box :) it is a good guide for me how to assemble my parts .

the rods form the steering to the carb and ignition are not present ( also some rods for the braking systeem ) did you find a supplier of parts in the uk ?

cudan

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My car came so completely original that I have every part except one dynamo bolt that I must have forgotten to tighten properly, which fell out and was lost on the road somewhere. :cry:

I made a new rod to suit the new carb but I can measure and post pics of the originals if it helps.

I haven't found a UK supplier yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
:)

would be great if you heave pics and sizes off the originals.

and suppliers in the usa ? the most are ford suppliers.

cudan

1 - 20 of 172 Posts