Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I just realised that I don't have a thread up here for my truck!

As per the title, its a '66, ex United States Air Force, Chevy C10, from Beale airbase in California. It still has some of it's original (sprayed on) markings from the USAF on the doors, wings and tailgate along with a couple of stickers on the bumpers, etc.

It runs an inline 6 Hi Torque 250 from a later vehicle, with 3 on the tree. It has a different rear end that means that I can cruise at a higher top speed. It's also been bagged all round with a simple little setup. I'd like to put a subtle notch in the rear at some point (I still want a useable bed in the rear) and fit dropped spindles to get the front down lower too. Other than that its pretty much standard, this work was done by the previous owner in the states who built it as his shop truck.

I'm the first recorder owner over here and so far i've fitted a new wood bed in the rear and cleaned up the back end prior to bolting it all down. Cleaned and sprayed the interior (it was matt pink!), insulated the cab floor, made new carpets, re-trimmed the seat with a mexi blanket and trimmed the door panels to match. Fitted new door rubbers, fitted new starter motor and pin stripped a steel box that I bolted in the rear for extra storage. The floor is totally solid and its never had any additional welding/patch work done to it. It has a few surface scabs where they all go but it acts to the character for me.....

For anyone interested there is a complete build thread started by the previous owner from when he found it in a field wearing white paint through to my current ownership as i've resurrected his build thread.

Link to build thread here: 66 SB Step Side- Ex Air Force Base Truck - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers JP, I love the original look of it too, warts n all. Mean I have more fun with it as im not scared to get it scratched and use it like it was meant to be. Just gotta sort the damn hot start issue and then im gona mop the paint and lay some stripping on it and wax it to preserve the patina without it getting too much worse as she sits outside all year round without being covered.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
You probably have about 100% more fun with your truck and your family, than some rich sucker with a concourse truck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah it is fun parking it up next to big money motors at car shows and then sitting in the back eating doughnuts and chatting to folks. Especially when they say quietly that that they love the cars at the show but would prefer to have mine out of all of em! :D

Me and one of my little uns went to a local car show last weekend.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been wondering whether to paint my front grille and light surround white for some time now so decided to give it a go today. Im going to pick out the Chevrolet lettering in dark blue and also paint the front bumper white as well. It helps to break the front of the truck up a little I think.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finished off the grill, highlighted the lettering in blue and painted the bumper making sure I masked up the USAF Beale Airbase stickers on the bumper. I think it looks loads better and helps to break up the expanse of blue that was on the front.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts