Rods 'n' Sods banner

21 - 40 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Im liking this build, a bit of out of the box thinking going on here...... Top Stuff.:D
box ...box wot box ! dont say iv got to have a box to think in .... ok how much and where do i get one :lol:
most of what im doing is actually making this vehicle(and many others) forfill my needs and how i like them, mass production is good but not great,also i have many years of rebuilding motorbikes and trikes, we tend to use what we have to hand, and share ideas,which is what i am hoping this web page will do, no ideas or questions are to small or silly it may actually be what i need to remind me of something i have forgotten/ over looked. but many thanks for the words of encouragement. (i will reread these words in the dark times!!!):lol:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
as you can see from the last post ,most of my spelling mistakes have been corrected, i am working on the rest(or should i say my good lady is) but alas shopping calls!!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
as you can see from the last post ,most of my spelling mistakes have been corrected, i am working on the rest(or should i say my good lady is) but alas shopping calls!!!
Thanks for the good lady:D
As i am a foreigner i found it rather difficult to read...........but i did enyway,i like this build.
René

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
i've just read though the post again theres loads i should have put in, but have forgotten from the time i bought the car i spent just over a year collecting parts, lots of shiney things but the wheels are not what they seem they are 5 1/2 15 with 205 70 15 tyres,(may be changing these to lower the car) aston martin db5 rims and they fitted straight on to the mg hubs, the rear hubs are bolt on but had to have 15mm spacers on so i fitted ford extended studs and trimmed them down thats why they stick out so far.

·
Registered
602 Posts
loving this build bully, this is like the old days (early 80s for me), down the local breakers , see whats about and saying 'that'll fit with some juggling' and getting in the garage and piecing it together. looking forward to more updates,.....steve

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
thanks for all your kind words.. don't we all still use the scrap yard (ebay) thats me mates bike out the way so i can get on with the rat rod, i spent an hour or so on it last night. it amazes me some peoples build skills. the rear suspension is so well built vitesse coilovers on to dolomite top arm/balljoint 1500 fwd hubs and herald bottom wishbone with an adapter plate where the trunnion goes its well trick, then i go to take out the diff there rubber mounted but this one had a plate bolting it solid to the chassis so the rubbers about as much use as a f..t in a colinder so p..t my self laughing

today started so well i thought i would cut out the back crossmember and replace it with a stronger one because it will hold the back part to the front ,before i cut it out i made the replacement ,i cut a slot out for the prop off set by 20 mm (i found this trick out on here thanks for that)

then welded in a plate i know you like to see welding (im not always this good )

i went to cut out the old crossmember and clean the tube, thats when i found that the gusset plates were only tacked on on the top, one hit with the hammer.. on the floor . so i looked at the rest of the welds, um so i think i'll make some new chassis rails , bum day!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Morris 8

Hi Bully, can't fault another Morris 8 rod, I've had mine about 13 years now, I've got a mould for the front end if your interested, it 8 inches longer, split down the middle for easier moulding, but it does have a slight split in one of the wings about 4 inches long, easy repair though, just a thought, good luck with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
UMMMMMMM WOW is all i can say :O i know smiths of bloxham well, been there plenty of times, good bunch of lads int here aswell :) ill have to pop over some time and introduce myself :) keep the good work up and i look forward to seeing it finished mate :)

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
This is an excellent build....loving it!

Got to ask :)incheek:) are you building it in the scrapyard you got it from?..............:D:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
no just a hoarder (i see you have been admiring my garden as seen in the back ground of my fab photo shots,!!):whistle: there's about 7 or 8 bikes, two trikes and three car's at the mow ,i keep trying to get rid, but things keep turning up! there's a couple of old cookers ( to have a go at making a powdercoating oven as well, another job too do...) insanityvans, as personal note to you i'm in the latter stages of depression and decided to forfill one of my bucket lists from when i was a kid, build my own car and a rod from the ground up. have seen your build looking most excellent dude, don't give up i believe it will be superb. be a survivor not a victim, if things get to you, walk away and come back to it later, clear head and all !!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
wow that took longer than i thought the last pic's i posted were all the bit's cut for the bottom rail's , it took me two night's to put together not fully finished but getting there

·
Turbo 4 pot freak
1,891 Posts
Very interesting build and very 70's style thinking, I like the way you are improving the chassis, the best way to go in my opinion as you then know what you have got... keep it up and good luck with your bucket list :smoke:

John

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
cheers for the words of encouragement, i'm slightly bemused by people comments of what i'm doing is retro, really? what makes it so !!:beuj:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
right im back i lost my mojo for a bit but i found it behind the can't be arsed .so here go'es, i cut the kit car chassis up, and finished off the rear part that i was making .

removed the lovely repair that someone else did on the original morris chassis

striped and cleaned the morris chassis and cut off the bottom lip ready for repair

thankfully the chassis had been waxed and undersealed so not to bad on the top

i've got a lovely wire brush for my grinder, to clean of the crap.

mocked it up, now all i have too do is weld all the bits together!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
some photos of the chassis being built up

made the diff support

right i posted on the tec for some advice on how to aline the rear subframe but no responce so i built it to the original spec, so if i have done something wrong please say.i put the offset back into the wishbone mounts, put the wishbones and hubs on, and slid a rod through the hubs to aline the diff mounts.

21 - 40 of 479 Posts