Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

441 - 460 of 485 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
with the engine and box bolted solid you'll always get some noise transmitted into the car, i wouldn't worry about it. i once made a towbar for a mk4 zodiac and bolted the front bit to the diff cradle frame. i didn't notice the cradle is rubber mounted to the car and when driven for the first time i thought the diff was knackered. i realised what it was and removed the towbar to add a crossmember between the chassis rails and the diff was quiet again.
neil.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
You do know there's no way on earth you can build a rat ro dto go through BIVA ...oh, hang on a minute !! LOL Lovely work mate, keep it up .

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 ·
with the engine and box bolted solid you'll always get some noise transmitted into the car, i wouldn't worry about it. i once made a towbar for a mk4 zodiac and bolted the front bit to the diff cradle frame. i didn't notice the cradle is rubber mounted to the car and when driven for the first time i thought the diff was knackered. i realised what it was and removed the towbar to add a crossmember between the chassis rails and the diff was quiet again.
neil.
it's nice to see someones keeping an eye on me lol but i did listen when you seed to fit a mount in for the gearbox , it's definitely the release bearing and its new its not that loud and i'm hoping it my setal in but thanks for the comment about the diff as you may have just answered a question for me as when i gave it a run i hit a pothole and i thought the back of the car was going to fall off i've had it up and made sure there's nothing lose so maybe just noise transfer as there's no rear seats at the mo

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 · (Edited)
You do know there's no way on earth you can build a rat ro dto go through BIVA ...oh, hang on a minute !! LOL Lovely work mate, keep it up .
but kev you know that i'm going to get one from kelloggs cornflakes i've saved up all the tokens now and you said it would be fine :pmsl:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·
looking brilliant !
cheers robbert but i think it will look much better when both of our car are running well and sat next to each other but that won't be for a bit as i have had to step away from my carb`s as there doing my head in lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
Well I think I have sorted out the carbs it now as it idles without hunting or running at 1500 rpm it doesn't stink the house out and it moves with out having to blip the throttle it's not perfect but I'm getting there (note to self next time leave it standard if it works don't mess ) I will try and give it a little run next week to see how it goes.
And I've been working on some iva bits that is sorting out the door card ( alley ) now held on with plastic clips and all the bolt's are now Allen head , door bolt's also fitted as there suicide doors

I also made the smallest parcel shelf I've ever seen (about 3" deep)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #450 ·
And it's two steps forward and two steps to the side then one step back aaannnddd start all over again it's the rodder shuffle

Well I gave the car a run it was better but still not right so started playing and I noticed that the brake fluid tank pipe seal now leaking so to get a good look off came the carbs

I thought well there off I'm going to strip the carbs down and have a good look at them well (here you are Robert ) did you know there are two different types of hif 4 carbs I didn't there the same on the outside all the service kits are the same but the jet sleeve certainly aren't

Well I went over to see the all might guru he who knows all things su Robert ( ivanhoew )we sat down and thrashed out a cuppa of things to a go at I thought I'd start with the simple bits first that I know will help , to get the idle down and the mixture up I've soldered the run on valves up

It seems to be working idle is now well controllable as is mixture so we might be on the right path ,try to give it a run next week

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I've just read the whole thread and I am in awe of your workmanship and the getit done attitude.
Spot on Sir in every respect !

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 · (Edited)
Well I've just read the whole thread and I am in awe of your workmanship and the getit done attitude.
Spot on Sir in every respect !
Um wow thank you very much for that....... You must be a glutton for punishment if you have read all that I just thought it was the ramblings of an old stupid idiot (as you can tell I don't rate myself much over ok standard )so I'm shocked/flattered when others like my work
I'm not sure how much I said before but I suffer from depression and this is how I have tried to cope by getting stuck in ( it's not perfect by any means) there have been times when I have just walked in and then back out of the garage and not done anything and there are deferntly things I would do different /better now but this is how I can look back and see how bad I was

·
Registered
470 Posts
… I don't rate myself much over ok standard…
… so I'm shocked/flattered when others like my work…
Bully - Well, I am another fan of your work, as your car is a great build. :cool:

Especially when you consider this is what you started with.

… I'm not sure how much I said before but I suffer from depression and this is how I have tried to cope by getting stuck in ( it's not perfect by any means) there have been times when I have just walked in and then back out of the garage and not done anything and there are deferntly things I would do different /better now but this is how I can look back and see how bad I was
I'm no expert on depression, but I did start my own build to help with stress at work.

Unfortunately, I then ended up adding the stress of building a car to everything else. :rolleyes:

I think it is only natural to look back and think you could have done things better.
( I know my skills at the end of my build were miles better than at the start. )

I also think it is easy to compare your work unfavourably with other builders with stunning skills.

But what you should be doing is comparing yourself to those that are not building their own car.

As whilst the people in the UK with more skills than you may be in the thousands.

The people with less skills than you, are definitely in the tens of millions.

So, try to stay positive if you can.

I found the following saying helpful when I was stuggling…

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

In the end, I figured that even if I only completed one small job, it was still one less to do.

Good luck, Paul. :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 · (Edited)
Well thank you very much for that very much appreciated, that car turned into

which is now sat in the garage awaiting this one too be finnish the rat started as a doner for it but I decided in my worldly wisdom that I could make another car
And looked like this

As for the depression I'm on the right road and have a really great lady supporting/helping me but you never feel like you are good enough (but as I say I'm getting there)
And I haven't stopped working on the car just been doing things that I haven't finished or found out if it works yet and the usual thing of ordering my brake seal's of eBay three-days from Torquay ....... turned into three weeks from Lithuania so as you do started different things still haven't fitted the seal's
But big:tup:
I would just like to say that I'm not after sympathy but I do hope that it will help others to see that you can work through it as it has helped me

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 ·
Update time and i can't believe it has been nearly a year since the last post and over a 100 000 view

Right were to start I've been trying to sort out the carbs out and no matter how much i tried it was still flat on pickup so I went over to Robert (ivanhoew) and bashed out some ideas and Robert came up with a thought that the manifold maybe a bit big in-between the carb,s as when i remove the carbs the was petrol laying in the pipe , so with great anticipation i cut the manifold up and put a bridge in to narrow it down . Now it did seem to run better when i put it back together but I'd started doing other things so i didn't give it a run .

Then crimbo and the like .......... (Covid) cut a long story short I sort of left it and for some reason I was digging around at the bottom of my toolbox and found a gunson colour tune I had completely forgotten about so i had a play and low and behold it's far too rich so i have now ordered/started playing with some new needle s ,and found out that the carb throttle shaft are just binding so carbs off.

And repeat and repeat.........
Now I don't know if i have Caught it or old but yet again one of the plastic pipes for the brake master cylinder has broken so new one has been ordered

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I try to post on here, even if my progress is small and probably of little interest to others..... cos its helping me to convince myself that I have done something. Also, when lacking motivation or feeling negative about my lack of skill, I can read back my own thread to remind myself of what I have done, I find this helps me keep going.

You have achieved so much! We wanna see more!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Taxirod is right we all need some form of support now and again. I'm building a slingshot dragster and when you think you're not getting anywhere come on here and get inspired or look at the pics on my phone and realise how much you've achieved.

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
I try to post on here, even if my progress is small and probably of little interest to others..... cos its helping me to convince myself that I have done something. Also, when lacking motivation or feeling negative about my lack of skill, I can read back my own thread to remind myself of what I have done, I find this helps me keep going.

You have achieved so much! We wanna see more!
i totally agree ian and judging by your current project any progress made is surely 'small' lol.
neil.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #460 · (Edited)
Taxirod. Gt Pete thanks for the support and I do agree when i need some inspiration I take a look through my build photo

I've been plodding along trying to finish of /tidy up and chase up a couple of wiring problems dash looking cleaner now I have finished up the door bolt's and buzzer's

And made a cover for the steering wheel center (i still haven't decided on which wheel to use the standard mg one will pass the I v a but it very close to my knees) that's why I covered the centre but I'm just not sure if I like it

When the carbs were off I made up a heat shield (as I have been told that these carbs are heat sensitive ) And just for shit's and giggles

441 - 460 of 485 Posts