Rods 'n' Sods banner

41 - 60 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
right then a bit of an update ive not been doing much to the car lately, no money /doing everything else but still ......... i have been tinkering i put the mgb engine and box in the chassis to find out that the gearbox is to big / wide for the seats unless i want to sit in the back (not what i want) so a rethink ... i'll put a different box in

so while looking for a gearbox i finished the backend

made some chassis rails up for the frontend

they will slot into the chassis when in posistion

now i need to know how to set the ride height up if someone can help with that cheers graham

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
had a good day on the car and i now feel like im getting somewhere, i now started to put the front on to the chassis ( rather than just cutting bits off, measuring and making bits, im putting them all together):D

now i just have to get some money together to get the plate to box the sides :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Got your pm thanks. Its going to my mates workshop and he is going to roll up a new section for the roof and also make and fit a rear valance to.
I will give the number you gave me a ring tomorrow to see if he has a grill.

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
i need a rear valance can you find out how much it would cost to make one for me please,

·
78 Bronco BRING IT ON!
440 Posts
Love the look of the wire wheels on the diesel powered E, very cool. I think they look the tits sticking out of the wheel arches like they do! I always enjoy reading the projects being built on limited funds and clever thinking, gives me a good hit of encouragement to get on with my own stuff! I assume the diff that you've bolted up on the rat rod chassis is a triumph 2000 unit. A rat rod with total independent suspension is not something you see every day, they're more often then not transverse leaf spring front and rear! I was wondering if you could mount the coil overs on the rear off the lower wishbone to reduce the height, like a jag axle, in fact jag coil overs might be a better bet because of their size. Anyway like what your doing a lot, good luck with it:tup:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
thanks for the kind words made me feel good that someone has sat and read my woffle and likes it the diff is from the kitcar which was based on a triumph vitesse i think ... i have thought /and looked at putting the rear shocks on the bottom arms but theres very little room to run them up past the top arms ( i even tried bike shocks ) they will go but they have to be about 5 to 6" apart so for now just thoughts, on a budget thats an understatement but i was lucky that when i had some money i started collecting bits, i thought i had most but as always you find bits that you still need :rolleyes:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
update time i've been plugging away at it
being a tight arse git that i am i thought i would use as many brackets off the kit car chassis as possible (the first ones put on) steering rack brackets were ugly square box after three cuts one hole drilled and welded back together looked like this.

made up a couple of engine mounting/ back suspenion mountings for the chassis out of the 5mm plate. forgot to take photos, sorry. made 2 plates up to box the chassis then weld ,weld and a bit more welding, grinding, weld, weld and a bit more welding. i now have what looks like a chassis. its still welded to the jig,,,hope its not twisted when i cut it off the jig!:scared:

i've just worked out its took me about 210 hours to build this chassis ,is this good or bad:shake:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
well after some faffing about with my gas bottle (picked up a new one last week only to find out it was empty with a new bung in but it had to be saturday afternoon so had to wait till monday ) i have now got the chassis off the jig and no major twisting :tup:

·
Premium Member
14,079 Posts
are you going to tie the 2 halves of the front suspension together with a crossmember or brace of some sort? the loads on the suspension will twist the chassis at best and split/break the bracketry/chassis at worst.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
are you going to tie the 2 halves of the front suspension together with a crossmember or brace of some sort? the loads on the suspension will twist the chassis at best and split/break the bracketry/chassis at worst.
im not a 100 percent sure what your saying, but im looking to brace the chassis rails (two rails under the seating compartment and build a bulk head to the frame) if you mean the suspenion turets where the old engine mounts are i was going to ask whether i can remove them or brace across them to stop them from moving inwards, all help welcome!!

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,360 Posts
See the picture below, there is a crossmember tied into the chassis rails between the front suspension uprights, without one the turrets will flex inwards rather than the suspension compressing:

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
I'm sure that, at the start of this build, you said "I'm not much good at this stuff".

:shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake: Yeah, right!!!!!

Really enjoying this build and it's a build that inspires. :tup:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
insanityvans thanks for kind words i'm no genius just been spannering most of my life, if you think this is good wait till i apply the bully touches( you may not like me then ):incheek::lol:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
thanks for the advice all taken on board,i thought i had this under control until it was pointed out to me . iwill be putting a cross member under the engine whether it needs it or not as my mates says iam a belt and braces man over engineer rather than break. ment to put these up last night but trolleyed computor, had a couple hours on car on sunday, made up engine mountings not welded them yet because the gearbox is not on as my mate is modifying a bellhousing for me so until i have gearbox on can not line the engine up properly.

as you can see from this the chassis is flat the plan is that it will be flat underneath nothing pocking through

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
tried fitting the engine/gearbox and put the body on to see how it all sits ..... front end a bit soft/low and the engine needs lifting a little but all doable

41 - 60 of 479 Posts