Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Here is my tiny garage, Ive made my rods short enough to fit it in!

Windows show signs of much over spray, both paint and grinder!

With the truck in there, can't take much of a picture of the truck!

So, time for an upgrade.
I blame MyGasser, when he came to pick up an engine he said "why don't you make the garage bigger?"
Well for various reasons I had always dismissed this idea previously, but this time, I went for it.
Reasoning: How often do we sit in our back yard? maybe once a year? Well I go in the garage every week!

I started by building a frame to support the extended roof

...then covered the frame and felted it.
I saved some money by not buying a new ladder!!!

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Compared to original garage this is double the size. I thought the new bit of roof joined to the original bit quite well.

Big job to break up the old concrete of the yard, and dig down so that new floor would be level with original garage. Here Wifey is lending a hand.

After filling many many bags with earth some hard core went in - had plenty to hand from breaking up the old base.

Cement time.
I realized too late that I should have had sand etc delivered.
I had been up and down to Wickes with millions of bags in the cab!

Some bags waiting to go to the tip - can't take too many at once these days.
Also, here is my 99p ebay window.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

I closed in the section facing the house, re-using the old door, and the new big window is in a hinged frame with caster wheels underneath to support it, so the whole thing can open right up. In the unlikely event that the garage is one day tidy enough to use when we invite people round! As this is the bit you see from our house it will get finished off, tidied up and painted. Eventually.

Now it was time to knock the old wall down. Ideally I would have moved the truck out, but it has some issues at the moment.

Engine hoist made sure the roof didn't collapse while i removed old wall!!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
The door is upside down and back to front, please rehang ..........................................................

·
Registered
765 Posts
Having been in your garage I can vouch for how snug it was, so good work on the extension. As for the truck, you've put so much work into it, it would be shame to break it. As others have said, just leave it a few months and see if the enthusiasm returns. We've all (I definitely have) sold stuff at the point you are at now and then regretted it as soon as its going down the road (on a trailer or not).

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Good job on the garage, I like stuff like 99P doors off ebay or facebook

I had a good look at CHOPT when you were at Shakey, the pickup is even better so keep going (after a rest of course to find your mojo)

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The door is upside down and back to front, please rehang ..........................................................
Haha, well spotted. That door has already been rehung 2 or 3 times, by fitting wrong way I get to re use the lock!
Might sort it out later though, if it means that much to you

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The garage looks good, nice job. Such a shame you can't make it longer.
Newham council might object to me extending across the pavement!

Or I could buy the house next door and extend that way. But if i could afford that, would I be re using a secondhand lock to save money?

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next job is to join the old garage floor to the new, have to dig out more earth to get hardcore in

This row of bricks sticking up have always annoyed me, at last I can get rid of them and have a level (ish) floor.

I managed to shove the truck away from them so I can attack them.

When I first saw these car skates, they seemed to expensive for me, but recently I found these on ebay.
I suppose you could call them cheap-skates.
Groan.

·
Stroker
5,465 Posts
Great job :tup:

You can always drive in at a jaunty angle to have front and rear space ;)

You'll soon fill up the space :D

·
Premium Member
14,313 Posts
well done ian, double the size mate and i'm happy to take the blame. if reversing in is an issue your 'cheap skates' will allow the back to be manouvered round. for the first time you'll be able to work all round it without constant shunting around.
regards, neil.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Life has been very busy recently, but somehow Ive snatched moments here and there to get garage nearly finished.

Probably would have been better to get some help, but I had a struggle on my own (typical!) and it wasn't looking good at this point.

But with some juggling about I managed to swing it round. Must buy another pair of skates to make it easier.

Soon be onto investigating engine issues, maybe have truck on road in time for winter!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looking good,going to sort my garage out,paint walls floor etc,but not sure what to use on ceiling, open beams at the moment, ply or plaster board? Any pointers?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Looking good,going to sort my garage out,paint walls floor etc,but not sure what to use on ceiling, open beams at the moment, ply or plaster board? Any pointers?
Got wooden garage and lined walls with ply, insetting dry line powerpoint boxes into the ply. Never got around to ceiling, but would use ply as well as future maintenance just means unscrewing boards rather than sacrificing the plasterboard and consequent dust explosion.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went for plasterboard to lessen the chance of sparks from grinder welder etc starting any fire with the wood.
Also its nice to paint it white to brighten things up and help reflect the light from the LED light panels.
I'm wondering how long its gonna stay looking like that though!

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Love the garage mod, I could do with the same as I already have 5 motorbikes, a lathe, bench and milling machine in mine and to say its a little tight would be an understatement!
But, hey, if you live in Norfolk you should have loadsaroom!

Meanwhile, here in overpriced cramped London I think Ive finished

It has cost me about the equivalent of 18 months rental of a council garage, mostly done on very tight budget, although I splashed out on some nice exterior cladding so that it looks nice from the house.

Its taken best part of 6 months to do in whatever spare bits of time I could snatch.

Strangely, I think Ive enjoyed it just as much as building a hotrod! Its all about the satisfaction of accomplishing stuff I guess.

Anyway, now I can finally turn my attention to sorting out the issues on my truck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts