Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stumbled across this genuine lotus cortina a couple of months ago and bought it from the second owner who bought it in 1975 , bit of an impulse buy really , always wanted one back in the day but first I never had the dosh and when I did I could,n find anyone to insure me , hand over the cash and four new tyres later I'm driving it ,he told me when I bought it the clutch should be replaced , it was,nt slipping but sometimes would get stuck to the flywheel , it also jumped out of reverse gear and occasionally the solenoid would,nt engage could,nt deal with that so the gearbox came out , took the top of the gearbox off and the bell housing off to fix the reverse problem , so now I needed gaskets a clutch and a slave cylinder kit , not so easy to find in the USA apparently , so whilst waiting for parts from Burton engineering in Blighty I,m looking at the nasty grey paint the previous owner decided to use in the engine bay when he installed a BDA engine 40 yrs ago and thinking well already have the box out its only a couple more bolts may as well pull the engine out and repaint the engine bay ! , now the engine is sitting on the ground and I,m thinking bead blast the header and have it recoated and a new exhaust system nothing wrong with the old one other than it looks crappy , the body shell is now at the steam cleaners having all the grime and grease removed from the underside , before I know I have another project on my hands the last thing I needed , I never learn to leave well enough alone it seems .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,760 Posts
can't you get the old header blasted and ceramic coated ray? you know it fits and it may have been a one off for the bda swap so unless it's rotten it's what i'd do for sure.
neil.
ps cool car (y)

·
Vendor
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The deadly curse of “I might as well just....” turning perfectly fine useable cars into a pile of parts. We’re old enough, and done it enough times, to know better but apparently we never learn.
isn't that the truth Ian , and like you said it was a perfectly usable car and every time I tell myself NO MORE PROJECTS but when the tools are already out and you're standing there looking at it old habits automatically kick in it seems , hope you're well all the best. RAY

·
Vendor
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can't you get the old header blasted and ceramic coated ray? you know it fits and it may have been a one off for the bda swap so unless it's rotten it's what i'd do for sure.
neil.
ps cool car (y)
hi neil , that's what I,m thinking problem is around here most of the companies that done it are out of business due to the Silicon Valley restrictions on what you can and can't do , we have to send all the chrome work and heat coating jobs down to Southern California or out in the Central Valley and I always want it done yesterday , hate waiting around to get it back .

·
Premium Member
14,760 Posts
stop procrastinating and send it off. if the motor came out when, a day or so ago? you could have sent it off then and had those days head start on getting it back done. you know it makes sense, lol.
neil.

·
Vendor
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stop procrastinating and send it off. if the motor came out when, a day or so ago? you could have sent it off then and had those days head start on getting it back done. you know it makes sense, lol.
neil.
you're right of course problem is I pulled the engine out on Wednesday , took off Thursday for a classic car auction in local , only got back last night , its on the agenda for tomorrow to unbolt the header , there was a strong smell of petrol when I was driving it , the tank and fuel lines are dry as a bone so looks like the Webbers are coming off for a gasket kit too , meanwhile my poor old 46 chevy delivery is waiting for its last little jobs ,the A55 is waiting for its mgb engine to go back in and my old 41 Willys has been sitting patiently waiting for its new steering box !

·
Registered
962 Posts
At work we used to call this mission creep.....

Love your Lotus Cortina. You can pretend you're Jim Clark. Is it the one with the A frame axle? I can recall everybody painting their Cortina's in those colours, GT, regular Consul Cortina etc.

·
Vendor
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Love your Lotus Cortina. You can pretend you're Jim Clark. Is it the one with the A frame axle? I can recall everybody painting their Cortina's in those colours, GT, regular Consul Cortina etc.
[/QUOTthanks Jim clark was my hero when he was alive and had he lived longer lewis Hamilton would still be chasing his F! record never mind his indy 500 achievements and his saloon car championship drives , I grew up about 20 miles from brands hatch and saw Jim clark along with all the other great names of the 60,s in all manner of tin tops and open wheel cars , I still have my 1963 British Grand Prix programme , Jim clark on three wheels around Southbank , jack sears tearing up the track in his 63 Galaxie and the following year adding an ac cobra in the same white/red stripe , some of the greatest days of racing in my humble opinion at that time for one pound you could take a lap around the circuit in a lotus cortina with Jim clark the reigning world champion at the wheel , I was still at school one pound was out of my reach at the time, this car is the later leaf spring model and no alloy panels , I have a spare lotus block so we'll see which engine ends up back in the car .

·
Premium Member
14,760 Posts

yep a mate had a mk1 gt years ago. it had bubble arches and the lotus paint was reversed, green with a white flash. still a cool car though and he drove it like he stole it, always.
neil.

·
Vendor
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep a mate had a mk1 gt years ago. it had bubble arches and the lotus paint was reversed, green with a white flash. still a cool car though and he drove it like he stole it, always.
neil.
here's one me and a mate of mine put together in the early 70,s it was his car he bought it as a shell we spent many many hours putting the steel arches on it , a roll cage full race engine/gerbox brakes rear axle from a rallycross car we bought in Canterbury , the roof was furflek do you remember that stuff they used to advertise it custom car you sprayed it on , the twin Webbers backfired and the car burnt to the ground in the dover town centre one way system in rush hour traffic .
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Tire

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Oooh I always loved a Mk 1 Cortina. Lotus version, even better. My first ever car was a Viva HB with a tuned 1500 pre x flow with twin 40's. Sounded similar

1 - 15 of 15 Posts