Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
add shims to the top wishbone (pivot end). they'll bolt between the pivot thingy and the chassis and will push the wishbone out to correct the camber. if the pivot is inboard of the chassis mounting point take out some shims (same for each bolt or you'll alter caster too). if this still doesn't work just shorten or extend the wishbone (it's only metal after all). that's some options for you to look at mate.
neil.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Looks like it needs the shims removing, whether there is enough adjustment I don't know; adjustable top arms would probably be a fix, albeit an expensive one! not really sure on the new height, a bit difficult to tell with only one side done, but my main goal was disc brakes on the front, as I was happy with the ride height, the drop spindles were part of the package, but I also knew that the brake kit for the drop spindles probably wouldn't fit the std spindle assy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Persevered with the drop kit/brake combo, I could have made it fit the standard spindle upright, but would have to re drill the split pin for the wheel bearings, and the lower caliper bolt would have to go in before the steering arm was bolted on, as well as grinding the caliper bracket and re drilling/tapping the bolt holes...……

Anyway, I shortened the track adjusters both sides by about 1/4" each end to give a total of 1" extra toe in, and removed all the shims, which has helped but negative camber is still evident, and the only way of fixing that is either adjustable top arms, or cut the original pressings and let some metal in; for the moment I don't think the camber is excessive.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
just a thought, are the lower arm pivots on eccentrics so you can 'pull' them in as well? that or it'd be easier to remove a bit from the lowers than let a bit into the uppers. there's more than one way to skin a cat. if you shortened the uppers you could do it 'too' much then add put some camber adjustment back with shims on the uppers re added.
neil.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
Doesn't look like they are eccentric (and I should know) probably the easiest way would be to make tubular top arms with an adjustable joint (if you cant buy them)

On another note, I see we have passed 10,000 views, turns out all that clicking on my own thread has paid off......

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Cut some windows yesterday, started with a cardboard template, then another cardboard template that was more accurate, measured the thickness of window rubber (8mm) subtracted that from the template, then cut the lexan, then trimmed the lexan, then trimmed the lexan again

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Bit of an update on the Impala, so the front disc brake/drop spindle assy was a complete fail, once the vehicle was out of the shed (which only involved 5 weeks work breaking concrete, shuttering and pouring 6m of fresh concrete) it was obvious that the camber was ridiculous, and more akin to some "tuner" blokes car, so I removed it and put the stock uprights back on; now awaiting a favourable exchange rate to purchase correct disc set up.

Did manage some fairly minor repairs to the rear bumper and valance and indeed the panel behind that, where some bright spark had attached a tow hitch and cut the valance to achieve this; the closing panel behind the valance which is only about 16gauge was badly bent, but I was able to cut it through the bend and beat it back into shape with the sledge hammer, the latter also came in handy for straightening the bumper!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
couldn't you make longer top wishbones, or at least weld threaded inserts to the wishbones and use 'rose' joints where they pivot at the chassis to adjust out the camber?
neil.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Well you could, but realistically if this is going to move forward it needs to get easier, and so bolt on parts are the order of the day; I've probably got too many projects, to give any one full attention; this year I've been restoring a '42 jeep as the main project, the Impala was meant to be a winter project, but all the buildings were flooded!

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
Well you could, but realistically if this is going to move forward it needs to get easier, and so bolt on parts are the order of the day; I've probably got too many projects, to give any one full attention; this year I've been restoring a '42 jeep as the main project, the Impala was meant to be a winter project, but all the buildings were flooded!
i getcha but as the uprights are already on there you only have to unbolt the top wishbones and make them longer. as i said cut off the pivots, weld in threaded inserts (readily available) and screw in a pair of 'rose' joints (again readily available) that's got to be easier than swapping out the complete uprights, again.
neil.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 · (Edited)
Well it's an option, but the uprights have been on and off now 3 times! the brake kits available now use the std upright, whereas the one I have is 2" drop spindle, and the caliper mounts aren't compatible with the std uprights; this however is just a minor inconvenience as the real issue is the lack of reverse gear in the old iron 2 speed power glide, incredibly heavy and £200- more to overhaul than a later alloy 2 speed or a th350, but to change the box, requires a new torque converter, flex plate, starter motor, trans cooler pipes (although theys fckd any way) and GB cross member! (maybe prop shaft also)

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
sounds like you already decided to spend the 'extra' £200 mate, i agree it's got to be easier. you could extend the top wishbones while the box is away being rebuilt ;)
neil.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Had the front bumper off as the center panel that the no. plate covers looked like it had hit a bollard, the front valance is just two pieces of pressed tin attached to the bumper; none of the separate parts will in fact separate from the bumper without the bumpers removal (annoyingly) the last picture is a convergence of project vehicles!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
What an eclectic taste! I love those Impalas (since winning a Corgi model of one when I was about 7 in a painting competition), and can only imagine the happy optimistic time a design like that could have been created in.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Late '50's must have been a great time to be a white middle class American; I wonder what designers such as Harley Earl would have made of modern cars, or the progress (or complete lack of) in the industry.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Just an update to the Impala brake saga bought some brackets at the end of November (from the US of A) and they turned up Christmas eve and were promptly fitted; now I have to sort out the master cyl/servo, it self a bit of a pain because there are no fittings on the intake for a servo pipe!

During the interim period I have mostly been welding up a Jensen interceptor, a more rotten example I challenge you to find!

Attachments

101 - 120 of 131 Posts