Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yes the one we took engine and box from for the front engined dragster, it had been bare metaled and left outside with no glass for a good few years. It was full of rat shit and you could push your fingers through wings and bonnet. It was so bad even the engine and box needed a full rebuild, good job we had it for owed storage cost.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Still doesn't sound worse, the bonnet on this one came off (allegedly) whilst it was being driven because of rotten hinges, (as well as most of the inner structure) and was driven over by the following car; oh and the engine was seized when I got it, but the good news is that the 440 is so big you can get a 4" fence post down the bores!

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
re the vacuum fitting on the impala inlet. there's usually a large vacuum fitting on the base plate of the carb, on most 4 barrel's anyway. connect the servo pipe to that.
neil.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Unfortunately this is still running the original 2 barrel and the only fitting is for the adv/rtd; I did buy another manifold to fit a 4 barrel, but again because it's an early engine the oil filler goes through the manifold, and whilst you could have valve cover with holes in, these are the staggered bolt type, and I bought a nice pair of finned valve covers with no holes!

I would imagine the correct manifold will turn up at some point, whether I'm still alive by then, who knows!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Ok not been here for a while, was disappointed in the forum "upgrade" last year and just drifted away, I have to say that uploading pictures is a piece of p*ss now, so maybe I was a bit hasty! So the '37 Ford has gone to a local guy who is preparing it for the Peking to Paris run, (I'd say good luck to him on those transverse leaf springs!) and the '42 Chevy (impulse buy) has also left the building ;I did try and sell the Impala but there were no actual takers just a train load of messers and low ballers , so I've started doing some work to it including making a sill and repairing the front and rear panels and actually painting them (turns out post office red is a really good match) been getting a few quotes for redoing the seats, but boy is that an expensive game!

Attachments

121 - 131 of 131 Posts