Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

My miscellaneous projects thread

18K views 130 replies 25 participants last post by  Lil' Sammy 
#1 ·
Ok take two, as all the previous text was lost, here is my latest acquisition a '37 Ford (Matford) with the 2 1/4 flathead V8, as seen on ebay, unusually for me it was just down the road, it is running and driving, although it does have a leaky water pump, and a very smokey engine, the selle thoughtfully provided water pump overhaul kits and NOS pistons and head gaskets ( he did also say that the smoke was jus a bit of oil in the exhaust pipe, but the fact that the section that the oil might accumulate in, is rotted away tends to suggest otherwise!)

F** k me I've only worked out how to post real pictures instead of those f**cking thumb nails, (turns out if you follow the "how to post pictures" advice, it works)

Not the best conditions to take photos (apparently) but you can probably see I've made a start, removing the bulbous awfulness of a boot, and started on the frame to make it a slant back.

See less See more
#5 ·
I think the body and running gear (and engine and box) had much in common with the post war Pilot, which, also had the boot bulge pressed into the body itself, but the Matford was the only one with suicide doors, and the redesign on the Pilot removed all of the sleek styling and added a bit of post war austerity!

The seller said something about 12 volt conversion, which may have been just the ignition system, as the starter motor looks to have never been removed in it's eighty years of existence!

#8 ·
Had quite a productive day today, the sun did indeed have his hat on, so I pulled it out of the workshop to remove the remains of the interior; would have been really nice in 1937, and to be fair again in 1979 but passed it's best now unfortunately.

Installation of the mock up seats (i.e the ones I will probably use in the end because of budget issues) couldn't be simpler, due to the base of the original seat being wood, and the seats (ex Land rover) having mounting holes suitable for self tappers; I may keep the seats but will remove the wooden base and replace it with some 2"X 1" box .

As can be seen ,internally it's very poor having no glass, it is V rusty (but surprisingly little rot) and the speedo etc has all but disappeared, and as for the wiring, well I think electrics are over rated anyway!

#9 ·
Made the boot lid/hatch/ trunk thingy today, the frame was sliced form the original boot er thingy ,and the bottom rail was removed and a new one made with a slight curve to match the top rail.

It was a bit of a pain to shape as it was a compound curve, but with my trusty companions brute, force, and ignorance, all was good in the end (you must trust the force), a bit of tweaking on one of the hinges left to do;

I'll make the lower panel out of steel when I find some!

#17 ·
Just when you thought it was safe.........to assume there would be nothing more from me!

Much like the swan (except for the grace and serenity) frantic paddling under the surface has achieved, er surprisingly little...... but I did manage to acquire a pair of '40 Ford rear lights (well lenses actually, but let's not get too bogged down with details)
these are usually refered to as "sergeant stripes" but are fitted thus

But the Americans wear their stripes the other way up, so who knows, but I really like them and it's the little things right?

#20 · (Edited)
After several months of bidding on and failing to buy, we finally have a new alloy fuel tank, bought for £25, and I was the only bidder!

I must admit I never realised what a minefield fuel tanks are; half the sellers don't know the capacity, or even give the sizes but this one is 5 gallons, which I think is about right'

I will have to work out exactly how the filler will work, I really hate cutting holes in bodywork, so will probably be filled by opening the boot; almost enough room for a spare wheel, might need to modify the parcel shelf (don't know where me nodding dog is going to go now....)

Yep no photos, the b*strd computer has updated and turned the flash player off! stay tuned next week.......

So it looks like we're back to thumbnails (f*ck!) keeps saying I need flash player 9...... but the flashplayer has been re enabled on my pc?

Attachments

#22 ·
After several months of bidding on and failing to buy, we finally have a new alloy fuel tank, bought for £25, and I was the only bidder!

I must admit I never realised what a minefield fuel tanks are; half the sellers don't know the capacity, or even give the sizes but this one is 5 gallons, which I think is about right'

I will have to work out exactly how the filler will work, I really hate cutting holes in bodywork, so will probably be filled by opening the boot; almost enough room for a spare wheel, might need to modify the parcel shelf (don't know where me nodding dog is going to go now....)

Yep no photos, the b*strd computer has updated and turned the flash player off! stay tuned next week.......

So it looks like we're back to thumbnails (f*ck!) keeps saying I need flash player 9...... but the flashplayer has been re enabled on my pc?
Read page 4 in this thread to enable picture uploading.

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/chat/uploading-pics-horror-505530/page4

#23 ·
Ok none the wiser (thanks for the help though) I'm on windows 10, having visited the flashplayer website I was able to re enable said player, (cant download another version as it's integrated in w10) however using the test facility on the fp page that says it is still disabled? I hate thumbnails, so I would like to get it sorted, but I have already exceeded my ability with this techy stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.