Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There, done it. There was a similar thread on the NSRA a while back, but just why do folks sneer at street rods? For me its an evolution of how it all started, making older cars better! Maybe I'm getting old but the appeal of an older style with modern creature comforts appeals a damn sight more than cross-plys and dynamos.

There just seems to be a resentment of street rods over the last few years, just never really understood why....

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Fashion , plain and simple. Plus of course every group ,in every walk of life ,needs another group to feel superior to in order to create a bond of how special they are .:D You know the John Cleese/ Ronnie Barker/ Ronnie Corbett sketch ?:lol:

Me ? I've always been 'special' :tup:

I just like anything good no matter what style it's built in.

·
Never confused
1,323 Posts
Personally I cant stand Street Rods.

I have a broad liking of many styles & trends but...........

Max Power stuff & Street Rods I really really dont like or get.

Mind you.

I am a big fan of the current ressurection of the UK style B289 Cal Look Vdubs that was big in the late 80's / early 90's.

About the same time as the Street Rod scene went crazy too.

So each to their own I say & lets all just get along.

Vegetable rights & peace.:)

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Andy, if you are into B289 you may remember this one ?

later redone to this before being sold

I did this one back in about 85

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Who cares? All these tags and labels are annoying anyway. How can you not like a car just because it fits into a category that you're not suppose to like?
It's all abstract anyway, most non-car folks wouldn't know the difference between a hot rod, street rod or classic car: never mind the minutiae between genres.

Mind you, fibreglass sucks :incheek:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Maybe I'm getting old but the appeal of an older style with modern creature comforts appeals a damn sight more than cross-plys and dynamos.
gary i prefer more traditional cars now - my taste has come from vdubs through to pro-street through street rods, for me its nothing to do with fashion or trends or whatever - the roadster ive got does a max of 50mph - I dont feel the need anymore to be in the fast lane doing 90mph to get somewhere or trying to race the other clowns out on the roads or doing burnouts to give myself an ego boost.

im happy tootling along at 30-50mph and taking in whats going on around enjoying the drive instead of watching the speedo or looking for police cars sitting at the side of the road or for watching out for speed cameras - theres no need for any of that because you aint going fast enough :lol:

thing is when im out in the roadster its a completely different driving experience - im always way more relaxed in that than anything else ive ever driven.

If I wanted modern creature comforts I would buy a modern car - kind of getting a little OT but I dont like modern things in general and things like gadgets/mobile phones/mp3 players/playstations/games machines etc. alll turn me off - im not interested in them.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Got to agree with the whole open top side of things . Just a totally different experience even to a modern sports car, you are out there part of nature ( whether you like it or not) .The whole journey becomes far more enjoyable.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Happy with most things.

Saw this take on things somewhere else. Hot rodding started with people upgradin old cars with new technology in the need for speed and to test engineerin skills.

Carrying that on to today arent street rodders the REAL hot rodders of today with peeps buildin trad rods just stuck in the past tryin to re invent the wheel?

Am stuck in the past for the record with the A but have different ideas for the next one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What I don't get is why there's a perception among many folk that a hot rod is the pinnacle of this hobby. I like (some) hot rods and (some) street rods but only when they're other peoples. Don't really want one. A full on Kustom would be the ultimate for me:cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just love old cars really i just happen to have a ford pop . But can see why people like there cars . If we all liked the same thing then the world would be a boring place :smoke:

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just like cars!!!!
hot rod/street rod thing.....there are some shit cars about in both camps....I don't like shit cars....and there are some fantastic cars in both camps....I like good cars....

the difference between a good car car and a bad car isn't money, who built it or what style it's meant to be. It's aesthetics and engineering combined...seen lots of well engineered cars that look like a bad meccano set and some good looking cars you wouldn't want to drive round a car park......like I said it has to be both....

Like I said....I like cars

1 - 20 of 21 Posts