Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
OK lads I will take some more pics so that you can see what he has done to it lately - it's pretty mundane rust removal/repair stuff before he can concentrate on the exciting Kustom titivation - lol

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
OK lads, I will post some more pics so that you can see what has been done lately - it's pretty mundane rust removal/repair stuff before I can concentrate on the exciting Kustom titivation - lol
As said before we all like the rust removal/replacement:tup:

Keep on pushing, great to see it being restored...............woz

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Sorry for the lack of recent updates lads, but other things in life have slowed things down a little until now ;-) I'm back with renewed enthusiasm and have been cutting out rot and welding in new metal with renewed vigour.
First image shows rust removal and new strut shroud and jacking point with above metalwork renewed.

Second image shows inner sill replaced using sections so as not to take too much strength at once from the shell

Third and last image show new outer sill welded into position, just waiting for rear closing panel and wheel arch lip to be made up and welded in.

More to come soon !!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Sorry for not regularly updating my build, but most of the work is just restoration stuff whilst the interesting things that I want to do are still festering in my head untill the body is solid once again. Anyway, here's what's been happening recently

Drivers side is 'almost completed' with just the rear lower panel to do

headlamp panel, front valance repaired/completely derusted and drivers door repaired and in primer

On to the passenger side and much the same type of work to do, though I have made great inroads already

Bought a new sill the other day at the owners auto jumble, so am eager to get this fitted and then it's the front valance corner area , some portions of floor and passenger door to finalise the main body shell - phew !!!!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thanks guys for your kind words and yes Kev, we will have to catch up in the not too distant future for sure ;-)
Anyway, I have been busy again since my last post and have replaced the near side jacking point as nothing remained, a good sized area of the front footwell and rearwards floorpan, whole inner sill, central crossmember and related box sections the outer sill and the nearside front roof pillar. Phew, it has been hard, long and boring work and if I hadn't had the help of my very good friend Frank, I wouldn't have gotten this far in such a quick time frame. Cheers mate
Anyway, here's some of the evidence - lol

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Stevie, I've been watching your Capri rebuild mate and you certainly 'are' familiar with the degree of rot these cars present to us poor foolish enthusiasts - lol. Like you, I'm working with one of the more challenging survivors of these gorgeous cars and have replaced more metal on this than the 2 Ford Classics and 1 other Consul Capri combined that I've owned previously. But when we're finished mate, we'll have a couple of much admired stunning coupe's and we'll soon forget just how bad and challenging all this work to resurrect them has been. Well once the welding burns have healed eh!!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Hi Dave ,just found this thread and am watching with nosey intentions.In the mid 80s i bought a Consul Capri which was meant to be a rare Hooper model,I think they made 40 of them.It served me well till the early 90s when it disappeared into a farm building were it has sat ever since.Kids,Divorce, new lady ,new house , house extentions ,various other tough times and ive still got her in the shed.Now nearing 50 and employing my enthusiastic son as an apprentice mechanic its time to revive 7850 VB and enjoy it while i am still able.For a start i dont think its a genuine Hooper unless they worked with tin openers and blunt chisels when converting them.Hey ho,I was young and foolish once-but in general it is not in bad shape ,even the boot floor is still there.I bought a donor Classic earlier this year as my bonnet is fooked,along with the usual stuff, and the o/s A pillar is pretty shit.
Have decided to take the easy option and have located and bought A 1500 GT lump,2000e box etc -may go to a 711m with the gt head ,but all rather easy stuff.
For whatever reasons wanted to put it on ro-styles ,just like yours if you are thinking of parting with them.I am in neighbouring Sussex and hope your handywork will spur me on so keep posting the updates on your progress.Just found a local guy with 2 Classics outside his unit nearby so this may be of use to you.If you are interested in selling the wheels or just want to ramble about Consul Capris pm me ,cheers Roger.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts