Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
if it is a hooper you would probably better to restore it, there were only about 40 built, i no were theres one local to me, i no a little about them, if you look on corner of the front wing by the door theres a hooper badge, the dash are made of wood, the back lights are different, the interior is leather and the grill is different, the door panels have a cut out to put things in, put some pics up would love to see another rebuild, if you no any one with good rear archs i need some

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
if it is a hooper you would probably better to restore it, there were only about 40 built, i no were theres one local to me, i no a little about them, if you look on corner of the front wing by the door theres a hooper badge, the dash are made of wood, the back lights are different, the interior is leather and the grill is different, the door panels have a cut out to put things in, put some pics up would love to see another rebuild, if you no any one with good rear archs i need some
It does have most of the Hooper stuff but I think it was all taken off another and put on mine.Didnt do my homework at the time,and as I said,the metal work used to finish off behind the dash and rear lights looks a bit hamfisted to say the least.Either way,its ultimately saveable ,so it will be done.Really need to see another Hooper to be sure ,and did so about 1988 at the Chelsea cruise.It was maroon and grey like mine and the owner reckoned it was was of 6 remaining.
Pictures will be imminent as it coming out of its resting place maybe as soon as this weekend.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I 'have' been busy since my last posting on here and have welded in new inner and outer sills, repairs to the inner wings/headlamp panels, underbody structural box sections - the list goes on and on, so here's the proof fellas - lol

Still some small repairs in the boot area, but the welding duties are almost over (thank goodness), so it's nearly time for the paint - phew. Of course then there is the mechanics and steering etc etc - lol

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
on your second photo which is the door post there should be a piece of metal from top to bottom that holds the back of the wing, it also stops the crap from going over your door, dont no weather you new that or not, glad your almost finished the welding soon be ready for some paint

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Good to see progress ,I am just teasing mine back to life after a 6 year slumber but only "recommissioning" stuff
Keep up the good work mate
Dave

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
Must say , once I saw one in the flesh , I thought the Hoopers were very overated ,especially how they mounted and arranged the 3 light rears .

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Stevie, I've since put on a new wing securing panel on the A post mate, it was just that it wasn't ready when the photo was taken. I haven't forgotten to phone you buddy, it's just I got let down with parts and was waiting to get the bits together before I called so that I could get on with it after talking to you. So far all I've got is a MK3 crossmember with steering rack :-(

Dave, it would be good to see your own Capri on these hallowed pages matey. You can never have enough of Consul Capri's in my opinion eh Kev ;-)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Dave ,ffs go easy on getting paint on them ro-styles as i need (want)a set for mine,When i think of all the ones ive chucked in the last 30 yrs ,now i cant find any.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Must say , once I saw one in the flesh , I thought the Hoopers were very overated ,especially how they mounted and arranged the 3 light rears .[/QUOTE

As time goes by ,i prefer the origional Capri design,its not so much the 3 rear lights,its that fucking awful wood dash.The way I see it now is that any that survive should be put back on the road in whatever guise one feels suits.I have never been into spotless" as new]"things and certainly cant afford that route.
Have my own ideas on what i want ,which includes the normal clapometer dash,so fuck knows how I ended up with one without.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
Stevie, I've since put on a new wing securing panel on the A post mate, it was just that it wasn't ready when the photo was taken. I haven't forgotten to phone you buddy, it's just I got let down with parts and was waiting to get the bits together before I called so that I could get on with it after talking to you. So far all I've got is a MK3 crossmember with steering rack :-(

Dave, it would be good to see your own Capri on these hallowed pages matey. You can never have enough of Consul Capri's in my opinion eh Kev ;-)
Still love them Dave, unfortunately out of my price range now and I've not got the perseverance that you , StevieT etc have on putting one back together .

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Wish i still had mine from back in the late 70,s :sniff:

Also wish i pick another up for what i paid for it in 1978 all of £30 :bigsmile:

·
Registered
22 Posts
It does have most of the Hooper stuff but I think it was all taken off another and put on mine.Didnt do my homework at the time,and as I said,the metal work used to finish off behind the dash and rear lights looks a bit hamfisted to say the least.Either way,its ultimately saveable ,so it will be done.Really need to see another Hooper to be sure ,and did so about 1988 at the Chelsea cruise.It was maroon and grey like mine and the owner reckoned it was was of 6 remaining.
Pictures will be imminent as it coming out of its resting place maybe as soon as this weekend.
Hoopers didn't make as neat a job of them as you would expect, so wouldn't surprise me if yours were genuine, a loving owner would probably make a neater job of it! Is this the hooper you saw in about '88? It belonged to Claire Thatcher in Reading at that time, I went to Chelsea cruise one May evening, about that time, with her and her husband. My Capri is the one furthest from the camera. There were at least 8 Hooper Capris back then but NAT and GON have met their maker since (tho. all the Hooper bits from NAT were ebayed a few years ago, there could be a resurrection.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Great old picture ,and i suspect the maroon and grey one was the one I saw.Mine carries the number 7850 VB,so someone may know of its past.I bought it in the Guilford area around 1986-87.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Mine ended up in Surrey 898 FNX

Wonder if that is still knocking around?

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Few more Hooper Capri pics for you,,hope this one survived

DAVE

·
Registered
345 Posts

Got any pics of the engine bay and conversion..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for posting those pics voxsrod, I have never seen that one but believe it still exists and was taxed last time I checked. The only Hooper G.T. known. Last I heard it was in Devon or Cornwall.

The engine bay was not modified by Hoopers ( there was one sold on ebay a few years ago that said it was but I have serious doubts, probably done later) All they did under the bonnet was fit electric washers and roughly mask off the engine then respray, so all other than the inner wing tops were as it left the Ford factory (painted at Pressed Steel, Cowley)

61 - 80 of 114 Posts