Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
A few years later, from the ebay listing, seats etc were included also.
Will know the real answer when i strip out the dash as that looks like a modified backing for the dash in your picture.Pretty damn certain mines a fraud,anyone on here clever enough to access the dvla website and see if 7850 VB is even on there still,as that may be my first hurdle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good pics Tom,definitely havent got those Hooper wing badges ,so still believe ive got a fraudster.How about a "doctors coupe"?.
Wings rot out fairly quickly on these, when replaced, at the 'old banger' stage, badges didn't always get swapped over so doesn't necessarily mean it's not genuine, how about some photos?

CHK is a real stunner, has won Best in Show at Tatton Park as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Will know the real answer when i strip out the dash as that looks like a modified backing for the dash in your picture.Pretty damn certain mines a fraud,anyone on here clever enough to access the dvla website and see if 7850 VB is even on there still,as that may be my first hurdle.
It is!!! registered 7th June 1963 untaxed since '88. Hoopers launched in late '62 so it's OK by date.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
It is!!! registered 7th June 1963 untaxed since '88. Hoopers launched in late '62 so it's OK by date.
Thanks for doing my leg-work,much appreciated.It will be in the workshop for Christmas as i intend to escape back to some oily things by the 27th,as I will not have any walls left to climb indoors.Will post up its first journey out of its 20 + yrs hiding place.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Can't find any record of that one.

I have pics of many Hoopers if you need any CA. Would love to see pics of yours.
Presumed lost in action then, thats a shame as she didnt have any rot in her at all and every where was wax oiled

·
Registered
9 Posts
Loved reading this thread. Back in 1981 my then girlfriend (now wife) and I restored a '64 Capri so that we could go to shows in our own cars. She was 18 at the time. It was red over the orignal grey just like the pics at the start of this thread and rusty, but not as bad (only 17 years old then). Still had to replace the sills, floor, inner wings, valances etc. etc. which we did by rolling the car over onto old mattresses. Once the body was good I sprayed it, out in the open with a cheap spray kit, with Candy Apple red over silver. With the original mechanics it got us down to Skewjack in COrnwall for the Street Machine surf week and featured in the mag later that year.

After the missus scrapped the paint a few times I resprayed it in a BMW red (so easier to repair, ) and change the running gear to a 1600GT auto from a 69 Mk1 Capri. By then we were married, mortgaged and kids on the way and my pop had long since been sold. So 8938 KR spent 360 days a year in the garage and was finally sold in '96 to finance a house move. By current standards my restoration was not great but, like most of you reading this, we were in our 20's, self-taught and working in the open with hand-me-down tools.

I heard a few years later from the Owners CLub that the car was still around but that the number plate had been sold on so no idea if the car itself is still going and it's only been in the last year or so I've began to take a very nostalgic and pedestrian interest in the UK rodding scene. I'm too lazy and too old to want to get more hands on but reading threads like these remind me what great times we had back then with Chelsea Cruise, Custom Car shows at Olympia and all the wide-eyed innocence of the jacked-up generation.

Sorry about the quality of the scan -it's the picture from Street Machine, scanned through the glass frame and faded after so many years.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts