Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So with my Truck for sale and the Ruby on the road, its time I had a new project.

Thanks to MyGasser for this conversion, it means I can use Mgb discs and calipers on the next project. I've got new discs and calipers here on the modified Mgb hubs all ready to go.

Also have an Mgb axle in the back garden (no narrowing this time) so pcd same all round. Got it for a good price on ebay and sold the leaf springs that came with it to make the deal sweeter.

With an axle like that, its obviously not going to be mega powerful.

Here in the back garden (no room in garage) is a 2.0 Zetec which I originally bought for the Ruby. Ive attached some nasty cheapo skates to a small pallet to make it easier to work on and move around.
I was given a Mazda RX8 5 speed box (thank you Keith) and I spent actual money to purchase the adapter plate. After lots of offering up I finally decided it had to go this way round. But that puts the starter in the wrong place! Today I phoned the supplier of the adaptor who answered straight away and gave plenty of helpful advice - that in itself was a pleasant surprise!
" There's the easy way, fit a special RWD sump (expensive) or the cheap way (lots of hard work) cutting out bits that get in the way."
Guess what I'm doing then.
I made a start but then the rain came so I quickly packed everything away- then it stopped raining. I decided to do some jobs on the Ruby inside the garage and save Zetec mutilation for a nice dry day.

Reactions: quickrack

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Budetta - thanks for the, er, encouragement!

Magman - The clues are there, lets see who gets it.
I bought this car a very short time after selling my Taxi in December (After 34 years as a London Taxi driver I couldn't afford to even run the vehicle!) - and the small amount of money quickly went to buy my next project, but the deal included delivery, which hasn't happened yet due to the lockdown. This was actually in my favour, giving me more time to finish Ruby. And now I'm getting bits ready for it, so hopefully will speed up the build when it finally reaches this beautiful scenic part of the country.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So with my Truck for sale and the Ruby on the road, its time I had a new project.

View attachment 630231

Thanks to MyGasser for this conversion, it means I can use Mgb discs and calipers on the next project. I've got new discs and calipers here on the modified Mgb hubs all ready to go.

Also have an Mgb axle in the back garden (no narrowing this time) so pcd same all round. Got it for a good price on ebay and sold the leaf springs that came with it to make the deal sweeter.

With an axle like that, its obviously not going to be mega powerful.

View attachment 630232

Here in the back garden (no room in garage) is a 2.0 Zetec which I originally bought for the Ruby. Ive attached some nasty cheapo skates to a small pallet to make it easier to work on and move around.
I was given a Mazda RX8 5 speed box (thank you Keith) and I spent actual money to purchase the adapter plate. After lots of offering up I finally decided it had to go this way round. But that puts the starter in the wrong place! Today I phoned the supplier of the adaptor who answered straight away and gave plenty of helpful advice - that in itself was a pleasant surprise!
" There's the easy way, fit a special RWD sump (expensive) or the cheap way (lots of hard work) cutting out bits that get in the way."
Guess what I'm doing then.
I made a start but then the rain came so I quickly packed everything away- then it stopped raining. I decided to do some jobs on the Ruby inside the garage and save Zetec mutilation for a nice dry day.
Hi Ian, excellent builds and really enjoyed the "Baby Ruby" and the hurdles you had to overcome as not much in the the way of "off the shelf" parts but then that defines you and your unique projects.
Looking at MGB disc conversion, am I wright to assume it's going onto a (*), PM sent (HaHa you lot out there). Hope to bump into you sometime later this year.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that Wolselliac, I'm gonna struggle to get my head through the door now!
Since the forum changes I haven't managed to find out how to view PMs or send them.
When I find out I'll let you know if you won the quiz.:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for that Wolselliac, I'm gonna struggle to get my head through the door now!
Since the forum changes I haven't managed to find out how to view PMs or send them.
When I find out I'll let you know if you won the quiz.:D
I'm sure a mod will show you how to retrieve PM's.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did a bit on the Zetec this morning

It looks horribly modern with all those pipes and bits everywhere, so untidy. So,

I took off the plastic inlet manifold (how offensive is that?) and now its starting to look better. I've got a pair of SU's in the post which may not be quite as efficient as all that electronic gubbins but it will look better and be much simpler to hook up.

I sanded off the ford script and the 16v zetec bit.
I don't suppose it will fool anyone but at least it will look more in keeping.

Here you can see how the upper sump fouls the starter motor when you put it into its new RWD position.

Here are a few of the bits I cut off. I am open to offers for these bits if anyone wants them!

Looks like it will clear the starter now, I will have to get hold of one to check.

I'm new to Zetecs so I'm on a learning curve. Please try to readjust me if I take a false step before I'm aware of it. Eg this 'orrible breather thingy went into the inlet manifold, can I chuck it/ blank it or should I pipe it into my new manifold for the SU's?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Ian Click on your Avatar on your top righthand corner, click on conversations and that is where PM's are.

·
Premium Member
14,396 Posts
the breather has a pcv valve in one end by the looks of it, connect/pipe that to the new manifold mate.
neil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My lad runs one of these in his stock car. Behind the plastic breather is a hole with three threaded holes, we have a plate with a short tube coming from it which connects to a hose, that t's into the one from the rocker to a oil catch tank. The water outlet at the rear by the coil pack has a flange and a pipe that comes out on the nearside and to the front for the top hose.
I would recomend a Neil Dunne sump and pipe. It gets rid of the two piece alloy set up. Also remember the water pump turns the opposite way to the engine.
Ta Dave

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ian Click on your Avatar on your top righthand corner, click on conversations and that is where PM's are.
Thank you, I found it now with your help

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My lad runs one of these in his stock car. Behind the plastic breather is a hole with three threaded holes, we have a plate with a short tube coming from it which connects to a hose, that t's into the one from the rocker to a oil catch tank. The water outlet at the rear by the coil pack has a flange and a pipe that comes out on the nearside and to the front for the top hose.
I would recomend a Neil Dunne sump and pipe. It gets rid of the two piece alloy set up. Also remember the water pump turns the opposite way to the engine.
Ta Dave
Thanks for posting, thats helpful. Doing this on a shoestring so will use what Ive got wherever possible.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here's some general info on this from the guy who supplied my adapter plate, just in case anyone wants to know.

I was surprised to find that the Zetec clutch plate fits on the splines of the Mazda box.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Not having the car yet" is a weak excuse for not making progress I reckon.
So I knocked up a flange for the exhaust

Now I have to resist the temptation to weld the downpipe to it, that really does need to wait for the car!

Here is the ecu and wiring loom that came with the engine. It doesn't even connect to the lambda sensor, (maybe done like this for banger racers?). I came to the decision that even if it runs, it won't run that well, so I'm going down the carb route. I won an eBay auction for an Edis 4 module yesterday so things are coming together.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It's good to keep busy.

I found a new old stock clutch plate that has the correct splines, but its slightly bigger than the original one on the engine. This is the same diameter as the clutch cover, I don't see why I can't use it, I'm trying to save pennies everywhere. I'll clean up the old cover and the flywheel face. If anyone can see a reason why this won't work please shout.

Plate on left is original, plate on right is bigger but sits perfectly on clutch cover. If this works it will be a good saving.

Had some bits arrive, pair of SU carbs, Edis4 module, spigot Bush.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts