Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
The clutch plate on the right will not cope with as much torque as the other( by the look of the picture) as the mean effective radius is smaller. If the old one was overrated you will be fine!
Torque= SPUR
S= Surfaces
P= Pressure (force pushing the surfaces together)
U= Coefficient of friction between surfaces
R= Mean Effective Radius ( midway between friction material inner rad’ and outer)

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Thanks Ivanhoew, Rovertenrod,Mygasser.

I think I'll use the clutch plate.

The starter motor arrived, time to check if ot fits

It does now, had to cut some more ribbing away

Saves me the cost of buying a special sump.

I put the spigot Bush in, is this OK, or should I drive it further in?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It's good to keep busy.

I found a new old stock clutch plate that has the correct splines, but its slightly bigger than the original one on the engine. This is the same diameter as the clutch cover, I don't see why I can't use it, I'm trying to pennies everywhere. I'll clean up the old cover and the flywheel face. If anyone can see a reason why this won't work please shout.

View attachment 630332

Plate on left is original, plate on right is bigger but sits perfectly on clutch cover. If this works it will be a good saving.

Had some bits arrive, pair of SU carbs, Edis4 module, spigot Bush.

I bought a Fiesta for one of my girls, cheap because the clutch was slipping, a kit was too dear 9 for cheapskate me) so I bought the cover, plate and concentric slave separately, they were all close to the original, the plate was a larger diameter but matched the cover, ctuck it in all worked sweet no problem, full new clutch £35

Yours will be fine
:)

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for building up my confidence MyThing!
Today I had a bit of time outside and cut away part of the Maxda bellhousing to clear the starter

With this done I cleaned up the flywheel face and the clutch cover

I made up a clutch aligning tool from random old sockets and bolted on the clutch.

At this stage, I was eager to try mate box to engine for the first time, I had all the correct bolts, but ran out of time. Something for me to look forward to another day.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I like having something to get on with!

Today I performed the marriage of Ford Zetec to Mazda RX8 gearbox. But these countersunk bolts were stopping it from sitting flush.

So I ground them down, and after a few other tweaks,
Taa raah! (cue trumpets) its getting closer to powering my next project.

At this point I connected a battery and turned the engine over on the starter, just cos it felt like progress

I didnt like the plastic front cover, but when i remove it, it looks kinda funky in a modern way. Not sure what Im gonna do about that.

I'm thinking about where to mount the tensioner for the fan belt, also it has seen better days, will try to get a new one tomorrow.

I spoke to the vendor of the new project, he reckons it could be arriving at my door in a week or 2.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think there is an alloy top cover on one model Zetec ? Did that engine have a tensioner or was it one with a stretch belt? You will need a pully where power steering pump went anyways to get belt to run water pump correctly so I would fab a mounting to bolt on that side of motor with a sprung tensioner. Had to make a mounting for idler pully on my V6 to replace power steering pump.

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
retro ford do all the zetec swap stuff mate including an idler bracket that bolts to the opposite side to the alternator. for the money it's hardly worth trying to make although you could take inspiration from the pic' (i'm loathe to say the 'copy' word). anyway here's their bracket kit with bolts etc Zetec Alternator Idler Pulley Bracket (Z098) – Retroford
neil.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks Neil and Steve, Ive already bought a new tensioner so will make up my own bracket.
Good to find the Retroford site though,

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hear and read a lot of people supposedly using these boxes but not seen one matched up yet till now. Well done.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Quickrack.
I got Mgb rostyles for a reasonable price

And at a recent visit to my local tyre shop, they had a tatty one which they gave me for free, so I even have a spare.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

New tyres, good price, 165s on front, 195/70s for back.

Reactions: mygasser

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks Budetta, wow you really seem to have everything stashed away there! Are they on rostyles or normal steels?

Well today I was enjoying the warm weather and painted the engine.

The standard Zetec exhaust manifold looks OK with a trim and a quick squirt of hi temp.
The breather on the exhaust side fouls the Mazda slave cylinder, should be simple to fix.

Reactions: mygasser

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks Budetta, yes I would like them, not in a rush for them.

I've been making a bracket to hold the belt tensioner

I clamped a straight edge to ensure my new tensioner would line up nicely

Today I fitted the new bracket and measured up for a belt. My local spares shop is v friendly so I was able to try a couple out.

This one works well.

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
is the tensioner under tension there? it looks to be fully out, i mean any movement either way and the belt would loosen surely?
neil.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts