Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Mid England Retrims.
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1972 victor fd estate , just dragged it screaming out of the garage , the idea is to do the welding it needs , not a lot , engiine swap and try to increase its kerbweight so i can tow my caravan for my holidays in 3 months time.

as was. missing its front seats . engine is knackered.

the slant four engine weighs 370 lbs. to be totally comfortable with towing my caravan it needs to increase the kerb weight by 150 kg. i have a fully rebuilt front suspension ready to go on , the rear axle has been totally rebuilt with new brakes shoes , cyclinders , pipes .

so any ideas on a quick engine swap that will give ample power and increase kerb weight , id love the sbc route but thats not possible. four potter will have to do. ade:tup:

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,454 Posts
How about a Pontiac Straight 8? no? :shake:

Loads of torque, weighs about 1.5 ton, so kerbweights sorted :tup:

Might need stronger front springs though..............

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,361 Posts
The slant four wasn't exactly a lightweight to start with! What about a Triumph 2.5 straight six if there's enough room? Or maybe an Omega V6 (2.5, 2.6, 3.0 or 3.2)?

Mind you, most of those had the sills filled with concrete by about three years old to hide the rot, kerbweight sorted!! :D

·
Mid England Retrims.
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol. :pmsl: the vauxhall v6 is alloy aint it .

·
In-between 1932 & 1951
333 Posts
BMW straight six available in 2.0 , 2.5 , 2.8 and 3.5 ltr's ??

·
Rod'a'holic
1,036 Posts
BMW straight six available in 2.0 , 2.5 , 2.8 and 3.5 ltr's ??
And add the front seats from the BMW coupe as they are the heaviest seats I have ever moved
:D

·
Mid England Retrims.
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
V6 Ford and auto should do you ?
now theres a thought. plentiful aswell. how powerfull are they???
thanks for he ideas so far lads, its much appreciated.:tup:

·
Mid England Retrims.
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, who`s got what engine and gearboxes knocking about then? cheap as chips needed , poor broke brummie in need.lol.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I vote Ford Essex v6 ,I ran one in a Big Ford A series recovery and it was reliable and torquey, it would pull70 mph loaded [ not bad for a big truck ], on the down side was a bit thirsty!

·
Mid England Retrims.
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not too worried about thirsty , i ran a 3.9 range rover to tow my craravan before. got about 18 to 24 mpg . i look at it this way , if i worried about fuel economy then id drive a 3 cylinder third world p-o-s. stuff saving the planet , lets burn some trees. lol

·
Registered
895 Posts
seats

have not got any spair engines but got a nice pair of rover sdi grey leather seats that are quit heavy & cumfy with it cheers guy:tup:

·
Mid England Retrims.
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
right , its done, ive just won a 1972 scimitar gte with the manual v6 off ebay. theres no docs with the car but its complete. running gear and engine,gearbox will be retained for my victor but the chassis and variuos other items will be available for grabs. thanks guys for the help and susgestions. :rule:

·
Mid England Retrims.
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well today I started strippig the fd down to get an idea of whats got to be done , how much rust is there. well I think ive found vauxhalls complete supply of rust from the 60s to the 70s lol. :puke:
small sections to replace along the window scuttle.

then found some more at the rear seat belt mounting points

then the inner sill areas are shot on both sides , the outer sills are as bad.
front inner wings

nasty 2.0ltr slant four , this is going in the skip to be replaced with a essex v6 .

on the upside of all this rust is I am lucky enough to have a full set of replacement panels , new old stock inner wings / outer wings /sills / front valance . outer sills are pretty simple to replace , inner sills will have to made by hand.

:tup:

·
Super Moderator
7,391 Posts
Super fine........................... Go for it...........

·
Mid England Retrims.
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well the 2.0ltr slant engine has gone to the tip today. removed the shabby front wings with the trusted air chisel to find this underneath
nasty inner wings.

nicely rotton flitch panels too

bottom of the driverside A post

still to do is remove the innerwings , sand blast the crap out of it and then start the repair process. once its don't its going to be waxoiled till its ears bleed. lol

1 - 20 of 87 Posts