Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
My name is Martin
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Tbird is pretty stock at the moment. Has a few subtle changes to the outside, the front bumper bar has been removed and the bumpers painted. Sitting inside is a 390.

Not your normal sort of car for this scene, but here is my rwd, pretty rare, '81 Datsun Bluebird SSS. Sitting inside this are the engine, drivetrain and suspension off a 200sx, brakes off an M3 and a turbo from a lorry. Engine is far from stock and was dyno'd in the 200SX at 483bhp at the wheels :D A few long weekends needed to see it back on the road.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
Triple S was a nice car ,I used to have a 160J SSS. Now heres a strange thing but the triple SSS series evolved from Datsuns involvement in a Street Rodder mag project ,known as DSR 76 .

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,717 Posts
Cool cars!

I love cigar shape T Birds. I've owned a 61, 62 and a 63 over the last few years.

·
My name is Martin
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Triple S was a nice car ,I used to have a 160J SSS. Now heres a strange thing but the triple SSS series evolved from Datsuns involvement in a Street Rodder mag project ,known as DSR 76 .
That's interesting, didn't know that. How far back was that?

·
Registered
203 Posts
engine, drivetrain and suspension off a 200sx, brakes off an M3 and a turbo from a lorry. Engine is far from stock and was dyno'd in the 200SX at 483bhp at the wheels :D A few long weekends needed to see it back on the road.
I like that, sounds mental, is it going to be on the road soon?

·
My name is Martin
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'd guess at 76, as in Datsun Street Roadster 76. I have the copy of Street Rodder somewhere.
The SSS mark came out in the late 60's, so can't be to do with the DSR. Would be great to here more about it though!

I like that, sounds mental, is it going to be on the road soon?
It was on the road for a year, first in 2007 previously taxed before then in 1997, so it it a 10 year wait! I then decided to go sick on the engine. It's all sat in the engine bay now, I just have a few tasks to sort out before I can drop it on the highway.

the datsun is the nuts.
some pics of the engine if you can
Cheers, it's going to be too nuts to be honest.

The engine

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
What was the first model as I always thought they didn't come out until 77 as the first model ? Well at least to our market.? I remember the first time I ever saw a Datsun over here, 510 saloon ,had to be about 72 .

·
My name is Martin
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know they did the 510 as an SSS. Doubt it was marketed here, probably only Japan and the US.

·
Registered
19 Posts
love the t-bird and it pains me to say the datsun is spot on too very tydy both motors look spot on fella

·
My name is Martin
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers mate, here's one of the rear:

·
Registered
433 Posts
love your old datsun.ive owned a few 240k skylines,three in total one with janspeed turbo.great looking coupes.maybe german8rcoupe on here can scan some pictures of his and mine.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Both nice cars at very different ends of the spectrum :tup:
I know we are supposed by some to frown on 'ricers' but Japan has built some fast and stylish coupes and sports cars. I love American muscle and early 60s luxury cruisers and your t-bird looks great!

·
My name is Martin
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers guys. Now the snow has buggered off I went to my Dad's tonight and took the Thunderbird out for a drive for a nice drive. Still slippery out though

It also sounds like an aeroplane & spins out of the pub ! :tup:
Nice car Martin.

Hows the tache ?
Ah yeh the tache... Well that's gone, I thought a put a picture up on the other thread when I shaved it off on New years day, I'll go check the thread :tup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
The shot of the rear of the T Bird looks fantastic ( the front aint bad either ! )

I wonder what the young lads in their Saxo's think when this monster pulls up to them at the lights ? :D :D

Great car

1 - 20 of 22 Posts