Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say a BIG THANK YOU to nige for his time & help today!!!!!!
So we left leeds at 6am for the long drive down to Burgess Hill in West Sussex arriving there after a good breakfast at junction 23 truck stop on the M1
Parking up i got my first look at the new toy. After about 1/2 hour of jump leads WD40 fuel (got form the garage less than 200 meters away) we had a running car well for 5 mins till we found the leaking heater matrix, 10 mins later we had a running car again after bypassing the heater, money changed hands deal done we set off deciding to fill up with petrol at the local garage, pulled in at the garage, filled up, guy comes out of mot bay and says "have you just bought that we did the MOT on it" so i say yes & now i'm going to drive it to leeds. You must be mad he says, no it's only 260 miles i tell him, i get back in the car & will it start will it f**k!, one flat battery & battery pack later (borrowed from the garage) we push the car over the road to a car park, reset the points with a bit of cig paper & off we go again. The rest off the trip was great with the car not missing a beat running like a swiss watch, we stopped for tea on the A1 at a american dinner round about 4pm & arrived home at about 6:30pm, only down side to the day no radio in the car & no heater (i was f**king freezing when i got in)
Not long to wait now, what is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will post some pics tomorrow of the new ride

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well chaps here she is

shes a 1965 zephyr 4 with a 2.5L zodiac straight 6 engine fittied

this is the look im thinking of going for with 302 v8 5 speed manual banded 15inch steels cage (old school)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
...or black Mirraflake, slot mags and sidepipes like I said, though your idea does seem more sensible. Did I say that? A proper good day out though.I'd forgotten how enjoyable car buying roadtrips were. It really is like Eastenders darn Sarf as well innit? Guy offers us a cup of tea and even though we're at his house, toddles of to the caf to buy them.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Nice one Nick...... You could always build a Humdinger replica.......:incheek

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Hmdinger replica was banded about a bit yesterday dave, but it's just a bit too 70s for my liking
Did think about the slot mag, side pipes, jack up kit route but just think old school race car is the way forward although there will be a bit of twist (paint wise)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also seems to have 2 sets of heater controls Mike 1 on the upper dash and 1 on the lower. Was told by the seller that she had been told it was a ex police C.I.D. car weather this is correct or not who knows (will try to find some history on car from owners club) If it was a police car that's spooky as fox mustang was a ex police car

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Nick have sent you link on PM, dont think its ex police and you may find the big round chrome heater controls dont do anything

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I think you'll find none of the heater controls do anything right now Mike. He was blue as a Bernard Manning joke when he got home:D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for P.M. mike will have to check lower heater controls tomorrow if they do nothing ideal spot for after market gauges as would tie in with clock which is down there
really pleased with the car & i can see a grudge match coming on at the drags!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I see a plan a foot' its already started ,custom dash d chromed hot motor ,you need banded american steels on the rear 7x15 or 8x15 if you belt the inner arch a bite ,the rear axle can be narrowed 3" with no cutting of the spline and I would check if it has a z6/zody diff, mk4 front steels 6x15 , you have a hotrod

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will give you a ring in the week Mike re axle wheels etc as you are Mister mk 3
have got lots of ideas for it hopefully all in time for next season

1 - 20 of 30 Posts