Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I bought this back at the start of the year and have been finalising the planning and building regs while I finished my contract working abroad. Finally, having taken redundancy we start work next tuesday. The bigger barn in going to be the house and the smaller one the workshop, not figured out a garage yet but may put in an open fronted barn for parking the running cars if I have enough money left at the end.

This is the only place that I'm going to keep a 'blog' of the build so I'll add to this whenever something interesting happens.

This is what we have today and the approved plans for what it should, one day, be.

........Pictures to follow when the site supports picture upload again..........

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Wow, looks like a hell of a nice project. So you won't be having weekly visits from Kevin McCloud whilst he films you having tantrums and shouting at the missus then... seriously, best of luck with it, would love to have taken on such a project but feel too old and beat up now. Just rebuilding our place is enough. Oh, and as Dodgeman says, you seem to have your plans mixed up...

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
What are the heating plans? Just fitted (been onvolved) with a Daikin air source heat pump with under floor heting. They managed to cock it up a couple of times, but when it finally got running it was great. And they recon they can get heat out of the air even when it's -3 outside.

I'd love to design/build my own place. One day it will happen

Russ

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are the heating plans? Just fitted (been onvolved) with a Daikin air source heat pump with under floor heting. They managed to cock it up a couple of times, but when it finally got running it was great. And they recon they can get heat out of the air even when it's -3 outside.

I'd love to design/build my own place. One day it will happen

Russ
This is turning in to a nightmare. The sysytem will be ground source with underfloor both downstairs and up. I bought this as a just started project and the heat recovery loops are already in the ground. Now I'm adding underfloor heating in the garage it looks like I need about 23kw from the pump, meaning 3 phase which I have but now I find I haven't got enough slinkeys. I either need to dig the field up again and add more pipes or alternatively add an air source pump for the garage.
And then there's hot water where the current design has the storage tank in the plant room in the garage and the ditance to the hot water taps is huge. If I add a circiluating pump the water temperature is reduced by being pumped round the system and then needs re-heating. It seems that 2 tanks, one at teach end of the house is not possible with underfloor/ground source heating.
And all the time the groundworkers need to know where to put service trenches and I don't have a completed design

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Might be worth pricing up finishing the ground source against leaving it buried and use air source only (which should run hot water as well as heating. If you insulate the circulating hot water pipework with decent lagging then it shouldn't cool down.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts