Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready for a bit of a mental mechanical challenge? Try your hand at understanding how the D-Drive works. Steve Durnin's ingenious new gearbox design is infinitely variable - that is, with your motor running at a constant speed, the D-Drive transmission can smoothly transition from top gear all the way through neutral and into reverse. It doesn't need a clutch, it doesn't use any friction drive components, and the power is always transmitted through strong, reliable gear teeth. In fact, it's a potential revolution in transmission technology - it could be pretty much the holy grail of gearboxes... if only it wasn't so diabolically hard to explain.

More at Gizmag

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Haven't got time to watch the vid but it sounds like a system Williams were trying out in F1 years ago. It was a variable drive cone like a Daf Variomatic!(remember them).
Engine note stays the same as it was always in it's power band.
Didn't catch on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks to be a combination of a straght thru shaft and a simple harmonic drive? out side does gear reduction, middle does constant speed, combination of the 2 gives you veriation in range.

Pass the mechano... I'll get me coat...............

·
Registered
250 Posts
seems pretty simple to me but is that because i am an engineer or because i am half cut?
i do like the simplicity of it but to handle motoring demands i think it would become a lot more complex as no motor company can make anything with less than 3 computers
ttfn glenn

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
It's a very simple idea,but it needed someone to actually think about it.
As the guy said a plastic model is all well and good and "in theory" the real thing should work. I'd say that the middle gears would need to be a lot bigger than they are now and to lube eccentric rotating gears on shafts will be a bit tricky in the long term.
Fair play to the fella. A plumber has beaten a lot of the brightest engineers to this method of driving wheels..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts