Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I first found out about this site when I was in Edinburgh on a stag do. I happened to bump into a few of your members who had a mini meet! Had a wee chat about rods as I've wanted to build a rat rod especially using a ford model A shell. Trying to find a shell at a decent price has been very difficult and I gave in but yesterday I stumbled across a beetle which I strangely loved the shape of considering I'm not a fan of them. I went ahead and bought it and it is being delivered on Thursday which I'm excited about but I'm trying to figure out which engine I should use... I was thinking of a Porsche plant but they are 2-3k and parts will not be cheap. I have now thought of an sti engine or t5. I do want a v8 but £££ hopefully you guys can help but please remember I'm on a budget.

10446398_765446206840499_126325856_n.jpg 10482855_765446210173832_2013152298_n.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

·
stitchmeister
twin turbo LS 59 chevy apache
4,689 Posts

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
Hi Chris,
You've got yourself a cool little thing there!
I'd just stick a beetle engine back in. A big bore flat 4 on twin carbs will scoot along pretty well. It's easier, suits the car and with the right exhaust they can sound awesome. If you want more later you cold stick a turbo up high out back to show you mean business.
What ever you do remember go do it your way and HAVE FUN!!

Chaley

·
Registered
550 Posts
Great start, but you have some work to do on that shell, so if you are on a budget I agree the V Dub motor is a good start, I did this one on the cheap years ago, the twin carbs and manifolds were from a VW type 3, apart from the wedge shroud and K&N's, it was all homemade, ram pipes, carb linkage, pulley inserts etc..

Later on there's loads of choice, I've seen Rover V8's, alfa sud boxers, and all manner of more modern stuff with various adapter plates for the VW transaxle available. If you want something different, I always fancied fitting an aircooled V8 from a Tatra, they were around 3 Litres and 290 bhp if you can find one.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a rover v8 sitting but I'm wanting it to be fairly nippy, the interior on that vw is pretty awesome haha!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Put a flat four motor back in it. Cracking little engines that can be made to make those little tanks absolutely shift! There was a chap in the outlaw vw crowd that had a splitty beetle with a 1776 motor that would run twelves and get four foot if air under the front wheels!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
550 Posts
The engine hangs off the transaxle as a mounting, so no connection to the chassis. Other engines fitted the same by way of an adapter plate.

The only 'chassis' mod required is the bigger the engine fitted out back, the more bags of sand needed over the front axle.....

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I'd go the aircooled VW motor route too, can be pokey enough, they just cost a bit to build/buy...

My 1914cc with twin 45 Dell's back in '91 cost me £2400...

·
stitchmeister
twin turbo LS 59 chevy apache
4,689 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers guys! I'm really between the sti or the v8 but the 3.5 v8 is so slow and I can't find any supercharger kits. I wouldn't need to buy the v8 so I could spend the money on tuning. I've limited my engine budget to 1400

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Spend the 1400 on a vw flat four and you'll have plenty of ooomph. Remember they were built to be powered by 36hp. Anything around the 80hp and upwards will make it fly and thats relatively easy to achieve

·
Registered
550 Posts
Or if you are dead set against the flat four and as you say you have the 3.5 already, just look out for one of the old adapter kits and get the thing on the road. It will sound great and with the VW gearing, should be quite lively. If you are keeping the car in the style indicated in your pics, further work on the engine or even changing it for something else later will be easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts