Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read on Eurodragster the passing of Nick Kemp, As most will know had a Mk 2 Zephyr custom. Condolences to his family Ken.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,055 Posts
Sad news , an iconic car and well known early rodder. Our thoughts are with his family.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
What sad news I use to know Nick really well , we done some bits on the mk 2 and his really mad Blazer ( or was it a Bronco ? ) when I was at Pauls ( Burnham Autos ).First time I met him was back in the 70's he had a quick Z28 we dragged down the old A2 I lost ,I had a chevy powered Humber . Did'nt know about him being an Essex boy lived in Kent all time I knew him .

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
Bloody hell, what a shock. I first met Nick at Slick Tricks, must've been around '80. I remember him taking me for a blast in his Zephyr in its tubbed & tunnel rammed BBC guise. Even if it was a couple of months or a year since I'd seen him, he was always ready for a chat. A sad loss & condolences to his family.

Does anyone know if he was ill, a PM would be appreciated.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,741 Posts
I bought a Mustang from Nick in the mid eighties. A really genuine guy and a pleasure to spend time with. Like Johnny I knew him as being in Kent.
My condolences to his family.

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
I just remembered something that sort of summed Nick up, I was once told that he was working on his Zephyr the morning he got married. I also only knew him as coming from the North Kent area, Gravesend way I think.

Johnny.

The Z28 you mentioned, was that the same car he used to build his Firenza, it was around the same time a bloke called Endo had a small block early Manta.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
sorry to hear this, didnt know him personaly but his car was well tough and well known !!

RIP

·
Two Sauces and a Sausage!
1,642 Posts
Never met Nick Kemp ,ive just got back from looking at the black bazer my mate barry george bought from him,a well made wagon with obviously alot of love and thought put into it,made me feel a bit gutted lookin at it,even though i never new him,Bazza said he was a very quit spoken sort of guy.My thoughts and condolances go to his fammily and friends.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I never had the priviledge of meeting the gent who's iconic Zephyr was one of the cars that got me into the car modding game and I'm sure I'm not the only one of my generation who will forever be indebted to him for that.
My condolences to all of his loved ones, family and car family.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I knew Nick from way back in the 70s when he joined our club the North Kent Roadsters. He was always a really nice guy to know and built some superb cars. I hadn't seen him for quite a while but I know that there would be a cheery smile and a natter when we bumped into each other. Sadly that won't happen again. A very sad loss to our hobby. My condolences to his family and friends.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Johnny.

The Z28 you mentioned, was that the same car he used to build his Firenza, it was around the same time a bloke called Endo had a small block early Manta.[/quote]

That would be Steve Henderson ,he built some really quick street cars including a really nice mk 1 Zodiac with a dual quad 302 and a fully chromed 9" and a black and flamed pop on a mopar chassis that was featured in Rod & Custom U.K with Doug Ripleys IWINNULOZZ mustang,everybody use to meet up at Dougs on saturday afternoon, until we put the smallblock in the Humber I use to park it up the road and walk because I use to get the piss taken out of it !!(I was twenty at the time) It was all about street racing in them days and if you could'nt bark with the big dogs you stayed on the porch - Nick was one of the big dogs .

·
Huge Member!
525 Posts
Kempy...

Just tuned in after doin nights to read this...
Like Johnny met Nick at Doug Ripleys and Burnhams when he was building his Chevy Blazer. Really nice bloke allways had time for ya...

·
Registered
527 Posts
i remember the car,always loved chopped tops,one that ranks alongside Henry Hirise,Ford Fever & Lemon Squash.another "one of ours" lost,my condolences to his family and friends,RIP.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts