Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know its not a rod... But a neighbour of mine called over tonight asking if I could help her, basically she's got an 03 plate Micra and the ignition switch is very stiff, to the point where its sometimes taking her 15 mins to operate the switch. It seems to be a transponder type switch to me? But I know nothing about them ( on cars anyway) the poor girls got blisters on her thumb and finger through trying to turn the key! Apparently the spare keys just the same. Unfortunately I haven't got any graphite lube here or I'd have given it a squirt. She's scared of taking it to a garage because she's a new driver and is worried of getting done over (she's also a single mum so not overly well off)
So does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance. Steve.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Silicon spray may work, or possibly something based on silicon, such as dashboard shine or back to black bumper treatment.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Seems to a common fault of cars of around this yrs had to fit a starter button on a few different cars, it something to do with the switch wearing out as there mostly plastic.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I work for Nissan she needs a new ignition switch behind the ignition lock assembly,its a small black plastic part that is screwed to the back of the ignition barrel,also chances it needs a starter as this is what usually burns out the small black plastic part.
Hopefully this makes sense the key and barrel part should be fine its the small black plastic part that causes the stiffness hope this helps Andy

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replays, a mate of mine also suggested the starter motor causes the switch to overheat -burning it out-too. I will let her know. Cheers guys :tup: Steve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts