Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Five years ago that would have been true but it’s not even close these days.
An example is where I work…we have five pure electric VW’s that regularly see 200+ miles per day, they’re charged at work via a stored solar system and, if they want to charge them whilst out on the road, then it’s not a problem as the infrastructure is more than large enough for them to charge wherever they want to without having to “stay in a B&B overnight” as they charge 80% of capacity in 20 minutes.
It’s not free driving but it is just a different type of driving and technology is improving at a hell of a rate.
Think of it like this, the more electric cars there are out there then the longer the finite reserves of petrol will last for us to burn.

Oh, and I’m the fleet manager that introduced them to the business so it is possible to wear two hats, eco and hot rodder :p

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,264 Posts
I compare electric to LPG , it's a different mindset needed and you have to forget about "I'll just stick a tenner in " way of thinking . Tank topped to the brim at every needed stop, same as electric.

·
Nowheresville
3,064 Posts
Having shiny paint doesn't mean it's built properly. Rat rods are an aesthetic choice, I doubt we'll be judged at MOT time for that!
Nothing against unshiny paint - beaters have been around for years and can be as cool as a shiny rod. To me, a rat rod is a whole different kettle of fish.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Five years ago that would have been true but it’s not even close these days.
An example is where I work…we have five pure electric VW’s that regularly see 200+ miles per day, they’re charged at work via a stored solar system and, if they want to charge them whilst out on the road, then it’s not a problem as the infrastructure is more than large enough for them to charge wherever they want to without having to “stay in a B&B overnight” as they charge 80% of capacity in 20 minutes.
It’s not free driving but it is just a different type of driving and technology is improving at a hell of a rate.
Think of it like this, the more electric cars there are out there then the longer the finite reserves of petrol will last for us to burn.

Oh, and I’m the fleet manager that introduced them to the business so it is possible to wear two hats, eco and hot rodder :p
....but I bet YOU dont own one, someone else dime, there is a difference, you dont care how much it costs, to charge, etx etc,
Also, you dare not get rid of your gas/derv vehicles completely and park electric only in your drive, you would be too scared to do it, prove me wrong.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
....but I bet YOU dont own one, someone else dime, there is a difference, you dont care how much it costs, to charge, etx etc,
Also, you dare not get rid of your gas/derv vehicles completely and park electric only in your drive, you would be too scared to do it, prove me wrong.
As soon as anyone makes a car that can carry six people, tow a race car trailer or be a general tat wagon like my Mk7 Transit daily then I would gladly switch to electric for every day use. I commute 25 miles to work so from a fuel and company vehicle benefit in kind it makes absolute sense as I can charge it at work for free.
Whatever anyone says, it’s not totally free motoring but, with all of the current incentive schemes in place there are conditions, such as company car drivers, where it makes complete sense. The tax on ICE company cars and especially diesel is getting ridiculous , we are already being taxed out of conventional engined vehicles but it’s a back door approach that most people don’t see. It always starts with company vehicles and works down to the great unwashed from there.

On that note, Vauxhall are releasing a hydrogen electric van in the first quarter of 2023. It has the added bonus of no batteries to fail or be load consuming weight and also means much fewer rare earth materials being shipped around the planet.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
OK, so that's not going to happen so you have the perfect excuse
Much more important things to address would be the problem of plastic in the Seas, wankers buying fkn TVs/electrical goods every 12months....styrofoam landfill anyone?, cruise ship contamination and fkn £40 flights...nope, far too many "important" people have money invested in those.
This electric crap is nothing more than a deflection away from the real problems of the World, just like this COVID bollox......in my opinion of course.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The government will encourage us to swap to electric cars by tax increases on polluting vehicles. I have a 2020 Skoda Octavia 2.0 Diesel Estate. A great work horse car. However I will save £380 a month in tax by having a new Mustang Mach E. It arrives in November. Its a no brainer for me as I now work from home so much more.

Mal

·
Stroker
5,499 Posts
I remember the day...
Twenty years ago!? When Telewest announced cable/fibre TV for every household.
I'd never heard of anything so rediculous.
Well blow me, sure enough just about every UK residence now has broadband type stuff.
My point being if they can dig up every street for netflix they can sure as shit add on charging points no problemo.
As for the old we ain't producing enough juice we will I'm in no doubt. Demand grows one way use drops another, pretty sure domestic devices will run on static soon.
Morning :coffee:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts