Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just taxed a couple of motors on line and the insurance check bit seems to have disappeared, just a note to say vehicle must be insured if kept or used on the road.
The mot check is still done though.
Anyone else noticed?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked the reminder and it doesn't say you need it there either.
So, you can tax without insurance now, but not use the vehicle?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If a car is 'taxed' then legally it has to be insured - so the cynic in me thinks that the DVLA will now let you tax an uninsured car so that they can then issue you with a fine . . .

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But the thing is, if you have an old, in bits, pre '60 project, you can just tax it to get it active in the system, then sorn it before they suss that it's not insured.

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
did both the '57 & the Pick-Up about a Month ago, - in the old fashioned way - at the Post Office ... no need to show proof of Insurance -
'the system' tells the 'operator' it's Insured...my guess is that IF you did NOT have Insurance in place - the system would not let you tax it.

(I hope, anyway ... 'coz if this IS a temporary loophole - there are many who would exploit it - and I am not talking in our 'Community' )

·
Registered
803 Posts
How I wish they'd brought this in years ago! I did 30 - odd years as a Post Office cashier before retirement, issuing tax discs every day. The number of arguments, verbal abuse etc from customers who had out of date cover notes, policy documents instead of insurance certificates, not to mention forged MOT's when trying to tax their cars was a pain in the butt! The worst was always the day after Budget Day if the Chancellor had announced an increase in duty, which had to be paid from the next day despite the old fee being printed on the reminder forms, caused no end of arguments that did, used to tell 'em to write to Gordon Brown or whoever if they had a problem with it, but 'don't shoot the messenger...!'

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
did both the '57 & the Pick-Up about a Month ago, - in the old fashioned way - at the Post Office ... no need to show proof of Insurance -
'the system' tells the 'operator' it's Insured...my guess is that IF you did NOT have Insurance in place - the system would not let you tax it.

(I hope, anyway ... 'coz if this IS a temporary loophole - there are many who would exploit it - and I am not talking in our 'Community' )
With the ever increasing ANPR camera network it's getting harder to drive without tax, insurance or MOT without being caught.

·
Stroker
5,469 Posts
I've never noticed the specific insurance part.
But, I got knocked back online for no given reason last year on the daily.
Dug the paperwork out and the bloomin insurance had run out :shock:

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
With the ever increasing ANPR camera network it's getting harder to drive without tax, insurance or MOT without being caught.
agreed, Chris ... unless you live 'in the Sticks' - where (coz of 'cutbacks') we hardly see Police...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nephew looked after my place here for 3 months ending in April. Spoke to him the other night & he said he went to tax car on line & it said 'no mot' . When he checked with his mate whose garage did it last September, they'd forgotten to put it on the system !
So he's been driving all around essex , France & Spain theoretically without an mot.Lol

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Nephew looked after my place here for 3 months ending in April. Spoke to him the other night & he said he went to tax car on line & it said 'no mot' . When he checked with his mate whose garage did it last September, they'd forgotten to put it on the system !
So he's been driving all around essex , France & Spain theoretically without an mot.Lol
If you are talking about the uk, its impossible to be not on the system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts