Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local council ( Mole Valley ) struggling financially has bought a mobile speed and noise vehicle monitoring equipment and is asking for volunteers to train up and use to catch in there words Bikes and Cars with illegal exhausts.
The cafe at the bottom of Box Hill is a Mecca for bikes and cars and in the summer maybe as early as 5.00am bikes would be out riding on the dual carriageways between roundabouts up to the Rev limiters on there bikes . At 5.00 on a Sunday morning that noise travels for miles, so in view of the complaints the council has to be seen to take action.
Thing is though is there a legal limit for noise ? is it the same for cars and bikes ? Can a council fine you for exceeding a noise limit . Mot test is something about noise exceeding what a similar vehicle would produce. Even a modern type approved Ferrari at full chat I expect would be considered by many to be too noisy. Seems to me a bit of a grey area as a legal vehicle could be fined by the council and yet it is type approved so how would you appeal. Road noise will always make drive by vehicle noisier than a static DB test.
Technical question do two motorbikes riding side by side produce twice the noise of one bike ?
Lastly what’s safer the guy in our road with the AMG merc with the deep bass exhaust or the woman with the electric car who you can’t hear coming ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
There are a varirey of noise limits to chose from. OEM limits are for driveby sound not static tests. Soem aftermwrket exhaust systems are also EUWVTA , others aren't. Even between SVA ( 101 db) and BIVA ( 99db) there are differences . I've tested cars that ARE bloody loud at tickover but amazingly quiet in motion.

You can't just wave a db meter about near an exhaust and say it's failed .

If there's a lot of cars /bikes running nearby that affects background noise and can push you over.

With bikes I would guess they would go for non Type Approved can fitted as proof it doesn't meet regs ...though ( from memory) no noise test limit for MSVA .

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
I should say that I've followed virtually every automotive based Consultation for many many years and by far the biggest complaint is always noise...even when the Consultaion is nothing about it!!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
A few points,
A lot of bikers use the main road at the back of my house as a drag strip and I do get pissed of when they hang them on the rev limiter at the traffic lights then go off full chat, more so at 5am on a Sunday.
If there are no legal limits (I think there are) then the council will make them up.
Two noisy bikes together aren't twice as loud as one, it doesn't work like that.
As for road and tyre noise, we had lots of trouble bringing noise levels down on my uncle's racing Fiesta and the biggest problem was air intake noise where he didn't use an air filter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A

Two noisy bikes together aren't twice as loud as one, it doesn't work like that.
Actually it is - Although it can be hard to get your head around it. The noise levels in dB work on a logarithmic scale. If you double the sound pressure level you increase by 3dB.

If you had two bikes each producing 90dB then the total sound pressure will be 93dB (double the noise level)

Its a very complicated measuring system and very hard apply standards. I would not have thought a council worker having maybe completed a week course would be qualified to make a valid assessment. The type of microphone, the measuring weighting system, the ambient conditions, background noise levels and the distance from what you are measuring all can have a large effect on readings.

Mal

·
Welding Guru
798 Posts
Mole valley news flash.
Council worker rushed to hospital with microphone stuffed up his backside.
No seriously, the noise off the cars that tear up the expressway near mine dont sound too bad and the noise dissipates as its at a lower frequency. The bikes on the other hand do my feckin head in. Way louder and higher tone that goes on for ages. Even a little pisspot learner bike that does the rounds is unberable.
Almost resorted to a rope across the road on some occassions:mad:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What gets my goat is that the council are not going to get the flack , they are asking the residents to do the dirty work for them as volunteers.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
I've been to court for excessive noise and luckily won the case. Construction and use regs have a number of clauses/sections and the reason I got a dismissal was simply that I had been done under the wrong section number. It was only having access to the regs that allowed me to see the various discrepancies and base a case around them. They have been using those noise 'cameras' around Chelsea recently.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
Steve, talk is they will become a regular feature all over the country being added to speed cameras.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been to court for excessive noise and luckily won the case. Construction and use regs have a number of clauses/sections and the reason I got a dismissal was simply that I had been done under the wrong section number. It was only having access to the regs that allowed me to see the various discrepancies and base a case around them. They have been using those noise 'cameras' around Chelsea recently.
When the took you to court did they just say you were creating too much noise or did they have a specific noise reading that you were exceeding ?

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
This is where they went wrong. The regulation I was charged under, when read in full, stated a db reading. I was able to prove that a db reading was never used it was purely an officers judgement and that she had over-revved the engine. When I had been presented with the charge it had just said 'excessive noise' with no db reading mentioned. The clerk of the court produced the relevant book and there was an adjoining offence that did not need a db reading. The police officer asked the court to change the charge to the one that did not require a db reading but was politely told that the legal system did not work that way. Case dismissed.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I had a shirty neighbour moan about the short bursts of infrequent grinding I did with a 4 inch grinder , 40 grit flapwheel on steel.. There house is 50 metres from the garage , I got a mate to come over and grind hard on a piece of steel while the garage door was closed . With a decibel meter just behind the door the reading was 85db 20 fet that dropped and 40 feet it dropped again. By the time I got to there house you couldnt hear the grinder but the decibel level from the wind and passing traffic was between 90 and 130 db, the wind providing the higher reading. The hot rod on shorty headers with primitive baffles in the garage reads 97db while in the street that drops to 83.. I dont think a van parked at the roadside reading DB levels would provide sufficient evidence to convict.. another example of your cash strapped council lying to the tax payer and wasting funds on fancy vans.. The only way that got through the council meeting was if a councilor lived in that area and had a personal interest because lets face it they dont give a toot for the peasants ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts