Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me why a car would have a non transferable reg number, is it not the case when you buy a car you buy the number with it , and aslong as it has a valid mot you can transfer the number to another car. For what reason would a number not be transferable:?: IM CONFUSED

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,411 Posts
You never "own" a reg number, you only own the right to display it. A lot of re-registered classics and all imported cars are non-transferable.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
maybe the reg number been on another vehicle & transfered back to the original vehicle at some stage.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
One reason is that the car had a number on it which was sold and transferred. The DVLC do not want you to make any money out of a replacement, age related plate, so they make it non-trnasferrable so you cannot sell it!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,277 Posts
Plus if it's been off road and brought back into use via the V765 method then they are normally non transferrable as well, even if not an 'interesting' number.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
my old pop had non transfer on it, previous owner had sold it, an age related was then allocated.
i had no problem with that.

·
Registered
716 Posts
sorry to highjack this thread, but i have to change the cc and colour on my v5, i was told not to change both things at the same time, but to change one thing then send it off wait for v5 to come back then send it off again?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
always a good idea not to have too many changes done at once. As long as you do them 'when you remember'!! I cant see a problem with doing them 1 at a time.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,277 Posts
sorry to highjack this thread, but i have to change the cc and colour on my v5, i was told not to change both things at the same time, but to change one thing then send it off wait for v5 to come back then send it off again?
Doesn't really matter either way, they will have a record of when each logbook is issued anyway. Two items at the same time, or two items changed consecutively...

·
Rust buster...
602 Posts
One reason is that the car had a number on it which was sold and transferred. The DVLC do not want you to make any money out of a replacement, age related plate, so they make it non-trnasferrable so you cannot sell it!
This is correct... My previous car had a private plate which the original owner kept. The replacement age related plate from the DVLA was then non-transferrable. This was on an 05 plate car FWIW.

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
DVLA don't seem to be capable of multi-tasking. I've never had any luck getting them to change more than one thing at a time.

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
When you send the logbok off for the engine size & colour changes, don't forget to take a photocopy first, they have been known to lose them & then you could have a fight on your hands getting it all straightened out.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
This was done on my series 2 Land Rover, sometime in the past. The replacement plate starts with the letters YSL ***, I've had a lot of interest about selling it, it's the initials of some designer, apparently ? It would be nice if you could keep on selling them after they'd been replaced, you could make a fortune.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts