Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rememeber on one of my visits to Norm Wildings place he'd just bought an immaculate white 1st gen Camaro.The intention was to build a race car from it. He proceeded to strip the car down to just the roof & rear 1/4's. He made the chassis for it, which was very state of the art at the time, & then he sold it when re-located out to the States. Does anyone know what happened to that car??

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
I rememeber on one of my visits to Norm Wildings place he'd just bought an immaculate white 1st gen Camaro.The intention was to build a race car from it. He proceeded to strip the car down to just the roof & rear 1/4's. He made the chassis for it, which was very state of the art at the time, & then he sold it when re-located out to the States. Does anyone know what happened to that car??
dont no what happened to it but i do remember reading a bit about it in one of the mags... think it was in Hot Rod n Custom uk

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
The Camaro was sold to a Guy from the Cannel Islands. Norm told us the guy sent his man to look at the car. Two of of them walked past the Camaro blown away by the funny car in the workshop. Alledgedly when the Camaro reached its new home, the guy wanted to know where the crome thing sticking out of the bonnet had gone? The BBc from the Camaro went to Brett Featherstone.

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the last times I visited Norms workshops he had the Chassis for Roaring Rat up on a rotisserie having just pro streeted the rear end & painted it orange. Later in the day we went over to Covin (Tim Cooks place) & saw the body of Roaring Rat up on trestles. It was being worked on (owned by??) by Nick Vincent, cheers....Nige

·
Registered
186 Posts
hi evilzee, norman sold the camaro to guy in scotland,as far as i remmember he wanted it for a car collection, cheers steve:shake:

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi evilzee, norman sold the camaro to guy in scotland,as far as i remmember he wanted it for a car collection, cheers steve:shake:
Hi Steve, are you sure?? it's just that the car was no where near finished, just a chassis with the roof & 1/4 panels fitted the last time I saw it just before he sold it.

cheers...Nige

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Steve, are you sure?? it's just that the car was no where near finished, just a chassis with the roof & 1/4 panels fitted the last time I saw it just before he sold it.

cheers...Nige
hello nige, perhaps i may be mistaken, the camaro that i am thinking of was painted white and tubbed with a pretty healthy big block in it, i know it was a long time ago but i am sure this car was ready to go,but i have been asleep since then, perhaps i dreamt it.
the next time i went in to normans workshop,he said the car has been sold to a guy that just wanted the car, not to drive but to keep in a collection, he had someone come down with a trailer to collect it, thats the way the dream goes anyway, cheers steve:tup:

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
hello nige, perhaps i may be mistaken, the camaro that i am thinking of was painted white and tubbed with a pretty healthy big block in it, i know it was a long time ago but i am sure this car was ready to go,but i have been asleep since then, perhaps i dreamt it.
the next time i went in to normans workshop,he said the car has been sold to a guy that just wanted the car, not to drive but to keep in a collection, he had someone come down with a trailer to collect it, thats the way the dream goes anyway, cheers steve:tup:
Steve wern't dreaming. See my earlier post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Steve, You got it right. Went to a geezer in Scotland. Owned a collection of cars ( bought a fire engine, just so his kid could ring the bell !)
Glad to see your'e still around Steve, Livin' in Sarfend ? When I knew you, didn't you live around the Romford area ?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Steve, You got it right. Went to a geezer in Scotland. Owned a collection of cars ( bought a fire engine, just so his kid could ring the bell !)
Glad to see your'e still around Steve, Livin' in Sarfend ? When I knew you, didn't you live around the Romford area ?
hello norman, long time no speaks, great to hear from you, yes i did live near romford, but i have lived in southend for around 20 years now.
i always wanted a holiday home by the sea, ha! ha!:pmsl:
i still have the mustang, still talk about your old cars that you built, from time to time.
hope you are keeping well, cheers steve:tup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
hello steve and norman
ya i remember that camaro very nice motor, i think i remember norman telling us the BBC would be shit to drive on the road cause of the bits in it cam etc but he only wanted it for his collection, or was that another BBC in another car...could never keep up with him, every time i went down to his workshop there was something different to look at...mined you he made a nice cup of tea....even though the cups were well stained :)

just to let you know norm ford fever is still going strong and ripping up the tarmac in the area
cheers dave;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts