Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

(North yorkshire) Can anybody local to me help tune my 350 small block

846 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  buick350 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have finally got my 54 chevy truck on the road and legal but it seems to be running very poorly.

Its a 350ci small block with an edelbrock inlet, holley 750 and hei ignition.

I am a hgv mechanic but this is the first carburated/american engine i have ever touched so some things are alien to me.

I'm struggling with setting the timing, ive followed a few how to guides with no joy. From what i read the timing should be approx 18deg btdc, if i turn the dizzy towards 18deg the engine runs like crap and wont restart. The only way it seems to run smooth is around 25 to 30deg (i think). That is if i'm doing it correctly

I'm also struggling with tuning the holley carb, from reading the how to's and watching the youtube videos your suposed to block all the vac ports and connect a vacuum gauge and adjust the 2 side screws until you get maximum vacuum. Trouble is i cant find anywere that sells the type of gauge needed. Also would i be right in thinking that without the timing set correctly tuning the carb would be pointless?

At the minute it seems to idle ok ish and rev out ok if i gently feather the throttle, but if i press the peddle even remotely hard it stalls out and backfires through the carb.

I would like to be cruising around in the truck but i'm terrified of doing damage to the motor due to it not running right :(

If somebody nearby could come and help and teach me a little it would be massively appreciated. I am willing to pay whatever the going rate is for this kind of work.

Or if anybody no's of anywere local to me were i could take it to be looked at?

Thanks

Steve

Selby, north yorkshire

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks russ,

How do i register on yorks yanks?

Does anybody no of any garages that do this type of tuning in yorkshire as i dont mind travelling.

I'm hoping to go to a custom car cruise in whitby on saturday night so would like the truck up and running good before then.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.