Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember some years back when you often saw muscle cars parked in the street in London,
happened to drive through a normal residential street this morning
in N/west London,
saw this nice tidy 440 cuda parked up:tup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was trying to work out a shortcut some time back and there was a hardcore-looking pro-street GTO sat in red primer on a side street. Turns out it belongs to someone on here, now in bright red paint, and I had no idea he was local :D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Probably got a lot to do with the value of the cars, a few years back they were cheaper relatively, also some of us had them as daily drivers[ I had a '73 Camaro as my daily for about 5 years]
Now I keep anything classic/muscle garaged and only really for summer and weekend use. Also London driving isn't very pleasant, and no one wants to see their favorite car put at risk by White Van Man,BendyBus Man or the general cut and thrust of the urban jungle.

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
Driving from Stratford to Bourton on the Water on Sunday I passed a light blue 65ish Mustang convertible parked outside a house looking nice.

Gets a bit farther down the road and what should pull out behind me and promptly overtake me but a Pagani Zonda. Private plate F 2onda and looked and sounded absolutely stunning.

Now that wouldn't have happenned in the South Wales Valleys :D

·
Brixton Hill Buick Inc.
1,114 Posts
...saw a '65ish Lincoln Continental parked outside a house somewhere on the A32 in Hampshire on Sunday evening...

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
When I retired I made a decision not to drive a modern car as a daily. At the moment I drive a '68 Mustang. Every journey, even the Supermarket is fun and I leave it parked anywhere. The finances make sense as well, free tax, cheap insurance and zero depreciation.
Rog.

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably got a lot to do with the value of the cars, a few years back they were cheaper relatively, also some of us had them as daily drivers[ I had a '73 Camaro as my daily for about 5 years]
Now I keep anything classic/muscle garaged and only really for summer and weekend use. Also London driving isn't very pleasant, and no one wants to see their favorite car put at risk by White Van Man,BendyBus Man or the general cut and thrust of the urban jungle.
like you, in the early 80s my daily driver for around 2 years was a 69 mustang,
left that everywear and never worried, it never got damaged,

i also now keep mine garaged mostly,

also spotted this 60s Ferrari dino a few days back,

·
Brixton Hill Buick Inc.
1,114 Posts
....hang on, South Wales valleys? Last time I drove through Ystalafera I saw a lifted '55 Chevy stepside....

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Its a sad fact that our urban roads are dangerous places, so it pays to cut down on the risks.They arn't making any more classic muscle so its only right to preserve what we have left,always enjoy them as the fun machines they were made to be though:tup:

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
Some of us old gits were talking about this the other night. One of the things we all miss is driving around looking for parked cars and then doing the knock/note routine trying to buy them.
I bought a Roadrunner from a notorious Harrow council estate. Just parked up and untouched for some time in the street. Amazingly the kids had left it alone. Took a number of knocks but I traced it to the American servicemans mother. Also used to sometimes find car dealers that had taken Yanks in p/ex but didn't really want them.
I suppose the downside was people knocking on my door trying to buy mine...:lol:

·
Registered
872 Posts
The girl I lived with before she emigrated to the States a few years ago (yeh, I have that effect on people...) drove this Chevelle as her only transport during the late Nineties. She worked as an intensive care nurse at the local hospital, all the other girls couldn't understand how she could afford to drive it, yet when we replaced the knackered two-barrel with a four-barrel and manifold off Smax, it would knock out over 20mpg. And with no road tax and cheap insurance, her entire running costs for a month were less than just the depreciation on their spanking 4x4s....

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,717 Posts
....hang on, South Wales valleys? Last time I drove through Ystalafera I saw a lifted '55 Chevy stepside....
I saw that too last year, just round the corner from where i bought my Dodge Ram

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
it's a sad situation, growing up I'd see yanks and modded stuff outside peoples house or you'd know the local cars etc. I wouldn't even consider parking something on the road or my drive now as it'd just be a target for vandals or theives.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The other sad thing is that there are far fewer of them still in existence.Back in the day I used to rush out every week to buy my copy of Thames Valley Trader and hunt down Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs etc. Some were pretty rough, but the prices were right...now the 'breakers and projects 'are gone and even project muscle cars are relatively expensive, how the world has changed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not much chance of finding anything interesting at the 'REcycling centres' any more either, all the scrapyards around by me have closed down, there will be a large gap between classics that already have status, and so called future classics in a few years, for example, anybody seen a ford sierra recently? or even an early mondeo? (I'm not saying that these should be saved btw! ) :cool: In 40 years time, people will look back and think that car manufacturing stopped in the late 70's, not a lot later than that aroudn the place these days, and cars do not have the value they once had, so nobody is stashing them in garages/lock ups/barns any more... probably aided by the fact that every outbuilding in the UK is being converted in to housing!

Well, my barn is staying a barn, and staying full of cars! :D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yep that fine old traditional cottage industry known as 'car breaking' is rapidly dying and being replaced by large crushing/metal salvage operations, so the chance to stumble into a lucky find in the corner of some oily yard will be gone soon as well, and they dare to call it Progress.:sniff:

·
Registered
777 Posts
have you seen the price of a decent Sierra Cosworth recently?....probably why you just dont see them around any more

I used to live in the North of Coventry and a guy out on the main road had an RS 200 and then a Metro 6R4 as his daily drivers, not really our sort of cars but they are probabaly in a "private" collection now or in secure storage.

I do remember in the early 80s the price of US muscle was practially zero but I never bought anything ...what a mistake that was, not as big as a mate who bought a genny Shelby 350GT, White with blue stripes (and rust patches!) with T&T and broke it for the locker...lossened the mounting bolts, drove to the scrappies and got him to lift it with a fork truck while he took off the axle and just left the rest!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts