Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

1954 chevy stepside 1/2 ton pick up. The truck was imported a year ago, it's rock solid only needing a cab corner and lower cowl panel. Since then it's been fitted with a series 3 xj6 front clip, 1977 camaro rear axle, late transit pick up rear springs and a 300 tdi discovery engine and ldv 200 gearbox. The chassis was blasted before work started and was straight and solid. It's been fitted with

new ez wiring loom
complete new rear brakes, wheel bearings and seal
new heavy duty clutch kit
full cambelt kit and engine service
new purpose fitted servo and master cylinder kit plus all new brake lines
new wheel vintique 6x16 steels and 195/65 r16 van rated tyres all round
new haleogen headlights and repro rear lights
recon lhd jag rack

The truck was finished by a friend of mine as I have been in canada for the past 3 months and when I got back a few weeks ago it was mot'd taxed and registered. I've been driving it around with no problems and done something like 800-1000 miles in it.
It's great on fuel and goes really well being it has 2.7 gears so will happily sit on the motorway in the outside lane. The heater works well and it has electric wipers. The truck drives straight and the power steering and brakes make a good ride. I'm heading back out to canada in the new year so I see it as a waste to be parked up until I come back later next year then only for a month again. So I thought I'd put it up for sale, if it doesn't sell I will park it up. I'm not open to p/x and the price is £7500 firm.

Since these have been taken the plates have been fitted along with the new tyres and headlight bezels

--- New Post Merged As Per 5 Day Bump Rule ---

just to clear up a couple of questions the truck is a 5 speed floor change and I have the new type v5c in my name. The truck has over 11 months tax and MOT, which it went straight through

Cheers Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi m8, can u tell me a bit more abt ur truck,,i no its 57 years old and you,ve clipped th front end does it handle a lot better, and does the p/s work ok.wots th turning circle like?.r u still running wiv the original fuel tank. wot gauges r working on dash,does it stop ok. is it now a proper uk reg,d truck.. is it running discs on th front clip ,wot abt th rears..does speedo work. is th motor a good choise ,as they r usually changed 4 sbc;s wot does it sound like / wot sort ov mpg gallon wud u say.,, just questions that i need ed 2 askas u havent listed any bad parts apart from bottom cab corner,p,s wen u goin bak 2 canada case i fancy a gander..

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi m8, can u tell me a bit more abt ur truck,,i no its 57 years old and you,ve clipped th front end does it handle a lot better, and does the p/s work ok.wots th turning circle like?.r u still running wiv the original fuel tank. wot gauges r working on dash,does it stop ok. is it now a proper uk reg,d truck.. is it running discs on th front clip ,wot abt th rears..does speedo work. is th motor a good choise ,as they r usually changed 4 sbc;s wot does it sound like / wot sort ov mpg gallon wud u say.,, just questions that i need ed 2 askas u havent listed any bad parts apart from bottom cab corner,p,s wen u goin bak 2 canada case i fancy a gander..
Yes the power steering works well, the steering lock is good and i have had no problems parking it or using it in town. Still running the original tank, which seems to work fine. The front is running the standard disc brakes and the rear is on the camaro drums with all new innards, it's stops really well and straight as it also has a new servo and master cylinder. I have the new type v5c registered in my name as i was the first person to register it I'm the first keeper in england. The gauges need sorting as i think it was orignaly a 6v truck so havnt tried them and it needs a speed cable. the cab corner was cut out and a new replacement was welded in so no problem there now. The engine is a great choice it's designed for a discovery weighing 2 tons and this only weighs 1300 kgs. It sounds quite good with only one silencer and a good turbo whistle. Also it had a larger intercooler fitted aswell. I recon it's doing 35mpg so why would you want to put a sbc in it? but in fairness it wouldn't take a lot to put a sbc in it as the axle and front clip are already in there. The only things i would say was bad is it could do with some sound deadening and maybe a carpet etc. as it is it still gives you a feel of an old truck. I'm heading back to canada in the new year viewing is ok anytime. Any more questions just let me know
cheers dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
has the engine been changed on th log book dan.as i live in colchester essex wud it b possible 2 meet on route sum were this might b easier if ur off soon 07931114790.not always st me lappy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts