Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,whats the preference on here between choosing locking nuts or spring loaded washers and normal nuts?

·
Premium Member
7,457 Posts
Depends what youre using them for.personally when bolting a car like youreS back together id use nyloc nuts and bolts with a waher under each.little bit of copper grease on the bolt.

If you putting a bolt into say a threaded hole on youre chassis,id put a spring and flat washer under the bolt.

When doing youre wings ect,use larger ,penny washers,as most of the bolt holes are oversize.spreads the contact area and makes panels less prone to getting cracks

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you to everyone for your input,much appreciated,learning curves are great on here,:tup:

·
Stroker
5,467 Posts
Be aware that nyloks should not be used where they might be subject to heat
I'll second that. Some donut used em to hold the exhaust on to turbo on my old scooby.
Baked on solid, poxy inaccessible nuts rounded. :mad:
Plus, mot centre reused em when (they reamed me with no time left on mot) renewing drop link bushes. Nuts loosened off in 2 weeks so did it properly meself. :wanker:

Nb, totally irrelevant but I used stainless split pins wherever required.
Ok to put on when assembling car, hard work to remove when servicing under the car years later. :shock:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts